Sign in to follow this  

Supertrapp Internal disc muffler

What's up guys,

Have a question for you folks that had the stainless steel internal disc mufflers that came stock with the LC4's for a couple of years, Where you able to get some good performance with dropping in some more discs without being too loud?

I don't even have a KTM, but i figure you guys would hav some experience with this muffler. I'm thinking of doing one up for my DR 650 motard project. Not really concerned with it's weight as it will be lighter than the stock muffler i have now, just want to get the flow like my yosh slip-on without it's noise penalties.

Thanks for any info.

Yes. I'm running 11 disks right now. Not loud at all. A BigGun is about twice as loud. The KTM factory 'performance' exhausts are lighter and still use the disk system for tuning.

Some have even cored out the internal pipe. Just produces more noise. No benefit in power.

My 01 LC4 400 has 14 discs in it (checked two days ago, bike bought used). Bike runs about the same noise level (by ear, blipping the throttle in the garage) with or without the discs installed. Very quiet to me. I figure that 14 discs probably eliminates most, if not all, of the restriction. Stock LC4s from the late 90s on have a presilencer built into the "s" pipe that connects the header and the muffler and passed behind the airbox, just in front of the rear tire. Not sure how much silencing this does. The muffler has some baffling inside of it that is not removable except by permanent mod (no external bolts, rather welded in).

i cant remember if the stock system comes with 8 or 12 discs. i ditched my stock unit after my first season on the bike. i first replaced it with a Supercrap IDS2. in that i know i was running 12 discs, but besides saving several pounds of weight over the stock system i dont think i made too much difference. it was also really loud and that i did not like! i finally sprung for the real stuff and bought the Titanium system from Akrapovic. this made a BIG difference in power and came certified at 91dB from the factory.