Sign in to follow this  

Bad reiew of transworld video on 2006yz250f

I watched that video 3 times. the bike looked slow relative to the other bikes they video taped. It seemed like the bike was reved out everywhere. It didn't turn smoothly either. So I know it was just a tape and my point of view. The the rider comes on and confirms what I saw. He said it didn't turn so he dropped the fork legs 5-8 mm! then it was better. Then he added a tooth on the rear sprocket to give it more torque. I am crazy or right. you choose. :banghead:

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/videos/0,20898,,00.html :banghead:

They tested on a track that is suger sand... and this has been covered at least 10 times, learn to search.

That mahes no sense to drop fork tubes for sharper steering on sugar sand. sounds like an excuse to me.

he raised the fork tubes, allowing sharper turns. But I'm with you on this, it didn't sound like it was cleaning out at 3/4-full throttle and it may just have been the video/sound quality.

Simple solution: Ride Red

You know what. I watch the crf250 video and saw him bouncing off the rev limiter and comming up short on jumps as well as riding off balance.

Conclusion: TWM riders suck!

'You want me to tell you what they'll say?

:banghead: Let me guess, Honda wins yet another close shootout as usual... :banghead:

'You want me to tell you what they'll say?

LOL, what? You think they'll plagiarize Transworlds' review? "Honda is the best thing since sliced bread"

Yeah I thought that for a second, I mean the Honda video was longer, more in depth about the changes and the guy presenting the changes on the Honda video was a technicain, not some guy we don't even know who he is to start with. The Honda video was more descriptive and had better ridng footage, I think TWMX know the Yamaha will be the best bike for 2006 (as it always has been) so they tried to sabatarge it!

Wow, what opinions! First let me clarify one thing; Honey Lake is not fine sand! It is decomposed granite, loam, and some sand all mixed together. When the track is wet and maintained (such as it was during that test), it is the best traction on earth. There are a couple of hard pack sections up the face, but that is about it. The rest is soft loamy conditions - but leans more towards rich dirt than sand. Also, the sound you are likely hearing on that video are the other bikes being ridden at the same time. There is only two spots that you would be able to hear the motor in that video; once the rider passed under the bridge and then two corners later when he turns right to traverse the long uphill straight. This is not opinion. I have video from the exact same location taken in July.

Now, for the subjectivity: That rider seemed to be hauling ass to me. The bike certainly looks fast enough for me to race competitively. My concern is also with the cornering ability, as there's really no way to know until you ride it. I hate a front end that washes out. But I know from experience that a front hard pack tire washes out easily on that track. I hope the change to a more respectable rubber up front will remedy this - and that it's not a frame or rake issue!

I've seen enough now to feel confident about where I'll spend my 6 grand.

Have to remember it has a D739 on the front to, and for anyone who has ever ridden that tire before knows it sucks ass, I put D756s on my 02 on my second ride, and it makes the biggest difference in the world in soft sand.

Having now had the time to look at this, and setting aside the fact that our expert evaluator's voice hasn't even changed yet, I didn't think it was negative at all, but it didn't have much meat to it, either.

If you read any of the print reviews, including that by TWMX, the comment about changing the gearing makes sense. What was printed was that riders felt the bike was "between gears" on the big uphill, with third screaming and over the power peak, and fourth too high to pull hard, so the comment about adding a tooth allowing the rider to shift shorter from third to fourth adds up.

Pulling the forks up will help reduce front end push regardless of the surface, and the print reviews did not describe the track as "sugar sand". Loose, yes, but not like a real sand track. Frankly, it sounds a little like McCain Valley, and everything pushes up there.