Sign in to follow this  

Lots of dust in my airbox (Not a CRF, but it is a Honda)

Ok,

I already posted this on a specific forum for my 2003 CBR600RR (on www.600rr.net), but the number of response and information I got really didn't seem too helpful. So, why not post here...

Background: You can bash me all you want, I can take it. I have 16,000 miles on the bike, which I've owned since new. It will be 2 years this month. I was really procrastinating changing the air filter for a lot of reasons, but that isn't important.

When I took the lid off I was expecting to find a pretty dirty air filter, but I definately didn't expect to find dust in the air box on the intake side -- a lot of dust. To me the filter doesn't even look that dirty. I've attached some photos to help illustrate my point.

Here you can see the air box and intake velocity stacks. The large triangular hole in the center is where the air filter goes. You can see the two RAM intakes in the bottom of it.

PA020309.JPG

PA020310.JPG

PA020312.JPG

PA020317.JPG

Back side of air filter

PA020313.JPG

Front of filter

PA020315.JPG

And here is the beast with its guts pulled out for the operation.

PA020321.JPG

Now, if my CRF can be in the dusty desert for hours and hours and never have dust in the carb boot, how in the heck is my street bike having this problem? And maybe more importantly, how can I remedy it?

ben

Silicone. You just have to glu the filter in place.

I bet its not a huge deal tho...does that bike have titanium valves? Or regular ole' steel ones?

For years all they did to street bikes was put a big grate over the intake to keep birds out! Those old bikes ran a hell of a long time...

Switch to a BMC or K&N air filter. The oiled filter will stop the dust. Grease the air filter lip where it fits into the airbox (the little groove in the box where the filter fits in). Gotta love that fuel tank set up............pain in the a@#

I second what Shawn Mc Said. Sometimes I don't even run a filter on my chopper. Most custom bikes (choppers) run velocity stacks naked. They don't even have screens!. I once heard of a guy riding in the country next to a heard of sheep and one of the sheep got sucked... well you can imagine the rest. Pretty nasty.

Either don't worry about the dust or seal it like the other dude said with silicone.

are you sure all the screws were tight?

Those things are extremely difficult to screwup...if everything is lined up and screwed in.

Todd.

Already I've got more information and ideas from you guys than I did on the other forum...

The filter that was in was the stock filter from the factory. It seemed very secure to me, and all screws were tight. The only place in the design that I see as a weak point is that bottom of the filter at the deepest point in the air box. Instead of screws, there are some metal clips. These are best seen in the photo below right in front of the velocity stack. The bottom of the filter wedges into this clips.

PA020317.JPG

I will probably try the bearing grease thing, run it for about 500 to 1000 miles and check it again.

And yes, that tank set up is a real mudderfer. That is one of the reasons I waited so long to change the filter. I love this bike, but of all the bikes I've owned, it is the most difficult to work on, such as getting the body work off, etc. I can't even imagine checking the valves, although I'll probably tackle that soon.

ben

That looks easier than my 99 CBR900rr... now that thing is a bear to change air filters and plugs!!!!

Todd.

No, but I do drive by some farm fields on my way to work in the morning. The dust they kick up plowing is pretty thick sometimes.

ben