Sign in to follow this  

450 EXC question

I am sold on this bike. I found out that KTM is the only bike that can be dualsported in Washington State as long as you do it at purchase.

My question. How is the tail light delt with? Is it a brake light or just a tail light like my DR. If not I would imagine you would have to change it to a brake light to be legal.

it is only a D/S bike if you put the appropriate mods on it,depends on your state and your local cops.in PA i put a brake switch and hi/lo lead from enduro engineering on and mounted a horn and mirror.it has gotten glances from johnny law and i plan signals before i ride alot of roads.ask the dealer for help,most will set you up with the min. req. during prep.

The tail light has a double filament bulb and the brake wire is in a 3 prong plug under the seat. You can buy a brake light switch that goes in the rear brake cylinder. I got mine from Pro Cycle http://www.procycle.us/main/dskit.htm

Ben

Sweet, i am sold.

AS for the dealer, what they do in washington is for KTM they plate it. Its up to you to choose what mods to add to make it legal.

But that is all they have to do.

MA is the same except you can plate it at any time. But getting a plate is easy, getting it inspected and actually street legal in MA is another. I have a new '05 400 EXC and am in the process of getting it street legal. Got the plates and am working with a dealer to get it so it will pass inspection. Most folks just get the plates and run it "enduro legal" (i.e., not inspected) which just means that you can enter turkey runs and enduros that require a street plate and front and rear lights, but in theory the cops can ticket you on any public road if the bike doesn't have an inspection sticker (I haven't heard of this being a problem here). But if you truly are going to take it on any public roads, including public dirt roads, you need it inspected. I got a Trick D/S kit, which comes with the rear brake light hook up switch mentioned above. Check your RMV for street legal requirements necessary to pass inspection.

I have an '05 525 EXC that is WA plated from the dealer. He will do all the paperwork, and let you do the actual mods, unless you just want to pay his service dept to do them. I bought from an Idaho dealer and had to pay WA sales tax when I registered the bike here in Spokane. You will pay sales tax straight to your dealer.

You will need:

brake light switch (NOT the KTM switch, since it requires splicing into the harness) I used an Enduro Engineering "Plug and Play" switch, which plugs into the rear light harness above the airbox.

DOT 5.1 brake fluid so you can bleed the rear brake after installing the switch. (NOTE: 5.1 is NOT compatible with 5.0 silicone! It is hard to find, so get some from your KTM dealer.)

2 mirrors (I like the Dual Star)

Horn.

License plate holder - I like the EE horizontal holder, since it doesn't shout "LOOK AT ME" to the police.

Remove the "Off Road Only" sticker from the rear fender.

That's it... but you may want to add a cooling fan, high/ low headlight adapter harness, DOT tires, hidden kill switch, or whatever. Turn signals are not required here, but remember to use hand signals or they will get you.

Go here for pics and info on making a Washington legal Dual Sport:

John Davies' KTM Page

John

I just got my plate on my 04' KTM 300 EXC.

How well does the EE switch work versus having to slice into the rear harness? It looks like a real clean setup.

Thanks

I just got my plate on my 04' KTM 300 EXC.

How well does the EE switch work versus having to slice into the rear harness? It looks like a real clean setup.

Thanks

It is absolutely plug and play - you just hook it up to the existing tail light plug above the airbox. No splicing required, but you still have to bleed out the air bubbles from the brake line ;(

John Davies

It is absolutely plug and play - you just hook it up to the existing tail light plug above the airbox. No splicing required, but you still have to bleed out the air bubbles from the brake line ;(

John Davies

Thanks John. Bleeding it shouldn't be a problem. I try to flush out the brake fluid in the rear frequently anyway since it seems to get fried quick on this bike.

Glad to hear it is really plug and play. I ripped the light off last night just to make sure it had the dual filament bulb. :banghead: