Sign in to follow this  

New to the board...have TTR125 questions

Great board with tons of great info.

After many years of not having a motorcycle, I finally jumped back in. A friend of a friend had an older (1995) CR 250R that I essentially stole from him for $650. It is in excellent condition for it's age (other than ugly ass plastic), with a very strong engine with great compression.

Anyhow I after I started riding again, my fiancee decided she wanted her first bike. While a new bike was pretty much out of the question, I started looking for a good used value...which is much more difficult than it used to be. Imagine my surprise when driving down the road earlier this week, I saw a sign for a Yamaha TTR125. I checked it out and it turned out to be a very clean, small-wheeled version...2000 model. Ended up negotiating it down to $925 which I think was a good deal...am I correct in this assumption?

She is now the very proud owner of this bike. She is 27, about 5' 3"-4" and weighs around 130. Since this is her first bike, it is a pretty good size for her and she feels very comfortable on it since it sits pretty low. However, I think that once she learns all the basic riding skills, she will want something slightly bigger. Herein lies my question. Are there any suspension or geometry differences between the standard 125 and the 125 L? I searched the board but can't say that I saw this specifically addressed. In the FAQs I read something that I thought answered the question but can someone please verify that the larger L-version wheels and tires will fit the standard TTR125 bike without further mods?

Thanks in advance.

yeah after a while she will most likely want somethign with a little more boom-boom..iv had my 2003 ttr 125l for like 3 years now and just put a bbk on it this year and i still have a blast on it...but hopefully ill be getin a 06 yz250f this sping or when it starts getin warmer :banghead: she'll have a blast while it lasts :banghead:

Nate (or anyone else) do you have an answer to the question "In the FAQs I read something that I thought answered the question but can someone please verify that the larger L-version wheels and tires will fit the standard TTR125 bike without further mods?"

I think she will be fine with the power for quite some time but I am curious about the L wheels and tires fitting.

Yes, the larger L-version wheels and tires should fit the standard TTR125 bike without further mods. The geometry should be identical. The question is whether the non-L fork will have the disc caliper bolt holes machined in.

I got my wife a ttr125le. She is pretty much the identical dimensions as above, and it is the PERFECT size for her. I have been amazed at the hills she's climbed, and the tight, hilly, rocky trails we've been on and she just cruises through like gently. The electric start makes all the difference in the world though imho.

has anyone put a 26mm aftermarket carburator like from bbr on a stock motor? i was thinking if that would give her a significant throttle response? also, the flywheel modification sounds like a winner this winter too.

any comments about either?

late. :banghead:

i put a 29mm on mine it gave so much more trottle response and i have a lightend fly wheel i dont reccommend it if you ride in the woods i makes it feel like a 2some and you have to keep it reved up more

not a lot more but yes it will

bbr is the best one out there and i like the sound

fast 50's makes a pipe but it makes the bike sound like a pinger

Ok, so that would be a big YES on the bigger carburator, and a no on the flywheel. I'd bet my paycheck the wife would not like having to keep it rev'd up riding on the tight trails in the woods.

Ok, so that would be a big YES on the bigger carburator, and a no on the flywheel. I'd bet my paycheck the wife would not like having to keep it rev'd up riding on the tight trails in the woods.
sorry bout not answern your q...but if you ride a lot of woods i wouldnt get any taken off the flywheel or if i did not much...for the carb if its mostly stock id just rejet it for now instead of getin a new carb unless you can get one at a pretty good deal

and yeah id say $925 isnt a bad deal on a ttr 125

sorry bout not answern your q...but if you ride a lot of woods i wouldnt get any taken off the flywheel or if i did not much...for the carb if its mostly stock id just rejet it for now instead of getin a new carb unless you can get one at a pretty good deal

and yeah id say $925 isnt a bad deal on a ttr 125

Thats what my dirt bike will be selling for when I fix it. My dad finaly agreed to sell it. He almost sold it for 900 bucks last night. Came home today and I like busted the front hub more, some of the spokes like collapsed, and the rim is bent big time.