Sign in to follow this  

Head Gasket leaking/compression issues

I have six older brothers and 5 of us own DRZ's. Giddyup!

My brother over heated one day, he took off his fan, because of the Unabiker rad gaurds and that was a mistake in my book. But anyway he overheated pretty badly and has had some issues ever since.🤣

First, he is leaking oil out of his head gasket. I know he is going to have to replace that. Is it easy to replace and worth the money to do it ourselves, rahter than take it to the stealer?

Second, what other things may cause oil to be leaking out of his engine. If we replace the gasket, will that solve his oil leaking issues?

Third, can someone explain what o-rings are and what they do???? :banghead: Could this be part of the problem?

Fourth, this happened about a month or so ago and he has not been too worried about it until our last ride. He was going to fix it during the long winter months in SLC, but we ahve a scheduled Moab ride in a couple of weeks and wants to get it fixed, ASAP. He noticed a greater amount of oil leaking out of his engine and he also noticed some compression issues in his engine. 🤣 He noticed a signifigant loss of power on the low end. What could this mean?? :banghead: Could the valves be bad and cause this as well??

We need some real help here and anyone that could offer any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gracias

CER

he took off his fan, because of the Unabiker rad gaurds

Do you need to remove the fan and leave it OFF to use the UNABIKER Guards? :banghead:

Do you need to remove the fan and leave it OFF to use the UNABIKER Guards?🤣

Not if you buy the correct unabiker guards for your model ie "S" or "E"

You do not even need to touch the fan to fit the guards on an "S".

Neil.

:banghead::banghead:🤣

My brother over heated one day, he took off his fan, because of the Unabiker rad gaurds and that was a mistake in my book. But anyway he overheated pretty badly and has had some issues ever since.🤣

Then he should have left the fan on 🤣 Or stopped riding the bike when it started to over heat...not keep going. :banghead:

First, he is leaking oil out of his head gasket. I know he is going to have to replace that. Is it easy to replace and worth the money to do it ourselves, rahter than take it to the stealer?

Easy....well for me, yes,, for you :banghead: I have no idea...basic tools, Tq wrench, and some experience with motors, plus the OEM manual should allow most folks to replace a head gasket.. But I do know some people by federal law, not be allowed to own, never mind use tools of any kind 🤣

Second, what other things may cause oil to be leaking out of his engine. If we replace the gasket, will that solve his oil leaking issues?

Oil leaking at the head gasket? Failed gasket, warped head or cylinder, loose head bolts, big o'l hole in the side of the cylinder would do it too I suppose :busted:

Third, can someone explain what o-rings are and what they do???? :busted: Could this be part of the problem?

:busted::busted: You lost me here.... An o ring is a thin piece of rubber in the shape of a ring used as a fluid seal.. like the two that are used on your oil filter and cover.,,, There is no O-ring used in head or cylinder sealing. If that is what your asking.

Fourth, this happened about a month or so ago and he has not been too worried about it until our last ride.

Ya,,well that was a Mistake I guess :busted: Never put off a repair till it's convenient ..it will almost ALWAYS cost more to repair later, as more, damage happens.

At a minimum I would be looking to remove and inspect the whole top end.. Check the rod for side play and small end wear, the piston and cylinder for wear, the cylinder top and head for warping, and the valves/cams for wear. Severe overheating of a water cooled motor often means damage to the head/cylinder sealing surfaces. You might get lucky and just need to replace the gaskets… but I’d be looking at all of it to be sure.

Thanks Bronco for the response. Someone came through :banghead:

I think that we should be able to replace the Gasket with the manual.

Yes, you did answer the Oring question. As we were talking about his problem to someone else, they mentioned the Oring thing and I wasn't sure that their were orings in the engine. I knew that they were with oil, but I didn't think that they were in the engine.

I some other questions:

Do you think that the gasket leaking more oil would cause low end power loss??? :banghead: What could be the potential problem here?

Could an untrained eye tell if the valves are bad? We are not experienced is this feild, but we are no dummy's either. Once we get it off, would we be able to tell if the cyclinder is warped, and if the valves and cams are signifigantly worn?

So should we replace the head gasket with an E gasket like I have read about, or get an after market gasket, or get an S gasket, as that is the bike he has. What is the difference in the two? Thanks again for all your help!!!

CER