Sign in to follow this  

Garmin GPS 12 map?

I was given a Garmin gps 12 map, when I bought my bike. It has all the cables and holder. Is it worth using? Will I be able to download routes at the B to V ride?

Thanks,JIM

That unit is old school but it works. I will be supporting GPS downloads at LAB2V again this year and plan on formatting a data set just for the old school Garmin units.

Look for the gray haired guy at the GPS download table at sign up.

Be sure you have fresh batteries and bring your data cable just in case.

You might consider upgrading to a newer GPS unit. Some dual sport promoters here in SoCal don't support the old Garmin units like the GPS II, GPS III, GPS 12 and the yellow Etrex.

Thanks Dan , I want to try it one time before I buy a new one. I want to see if it's going to be something I want to use.

Thanks,JIM

I still use the gps 12 map and it works great. I've been on a several long rides (1000 mile plus) and it did everything I needed it to do. I do wish it had more memory and possibly a bigger display screen.

I'm not able to hold all my track logs on these long rides, I have to choose the various maps because it only holds so much. If you do shorter trips like the B to V ride it should work fine. I'm not sure what the differences between old school and new school gps units are except the memory. The functions are (I believe) basically the same.

The garmin III and V units mount horizontally and have an external antenna. I've seen two of these units somewhat destroyed. When the rider uses his front brake the brake line raises up and catches on the antennas and rips them off. I'm sure this can be fixed with mount positioning, but something to keep in mind when you get yours set up. :banghead: