DR-Z250 in sand

In the sand the problem is the bike is very loud and low on power, not very torquish, so if you slow down you're dead. She needs to keep a gear under, and gun through. She can't be too soft in the front either, or she may wash when making sharp turns. Lowering the forks will increase the rake and stability. I say take the forks out, change the oil and add a bit more, it should help because it will stiffen a bit. No need for new springs, very expensive and hard to find.

Mike,

You want to "kickout" the front end more to keep it from Plowing.... "lower" the fork leg as much as you can but still be able to tighten it in the triple clamps.

This will make the bike harder to manuver in the "tight" trail areas as it will SLOW the front end turning down a bit.

NicVer is right the best way to ride sand is with your throttle WIDE OPEN. Use your gears and never slack up in the throttle.......................

• 2 weeks later...

I had the DRZ 250, the bike is very heavy I did all kinds of modifications to try to solve the plowing. I did find one way to solve the problem. I purchased a CRF 250 problem solved. If possible Yamaha makes the TT which is alot better Plus like the DRZ it has the magic button

to.http://www.mrcycles.com/new_vehicle_compare.asp?sid=05891077X10K19K2005J5I32I55JPMQ792R0&veh2=13067&mfg1=2&veh1=21800&go2=Go

CRF250X? i fried the valves on one out in baja last month. good bike but crappy valves. supposely fixed on the 06. the drz250 is not in the same perfomance class as a crf250X but is sure is a joy to ride all day at reasonable trail speeds. it's a matter of how/where you want to ride that will impact which bike you choose.

steve