Sign in to follow this  

burnen fuel like mad, need help!!!!

I've just completed from bone stock, the 3x3 mod, yosh RS3 full system and the dynojet needle w/ clip at the for position. Fuel screw turned out 3 turns.

The bike is burning through a stock tank in 120 km(75 mi) at sea level. I was getting 190 km to 200 before. I played a little harder but really rode about the same. what gives.

Leaving for Baja in 20 days, this just won't work. :banghead:

The routes planning we've done won't accommodate that type of mileage regardless of tank size. I hate pushing bikes!!!! I've purchased a larger tank but I need to sort this problem out. Has anyone had this issue after making these mods. Is it due to loss in vacuum causing the carb to stay open with the 3x3??? :banghead:

ya that sounds normal.i went from 65mpg to 52mpg after the changes.got to remember that your burning more fuel with that new found air the engine is getting.thats canadian gallons as well.1 us gal=3.6 liters.1 imperial gal =4.546 liters

lol, i get those miles with no 3x3 no jet kit and stock exhaust. 77 miles than i have to turn reserve on. i wander what kinda gas milage i will get after i put my bike back together. my jet kit and rs3 complete should be here tomorrow, just got back in from cutting the 3x3 hole. my main jets and pilot jet probably wont be here till monday, so i did everything i could without the parts here, when they get here all i have to do is put it back together and ride wheelies all day long

You did not post your jetting so I'll assume 25 pilot, DJ needle -4, 142.5 main.

You will encounter some altitude in Baja. So I suggest you try 22.5 pilot (stock), DJ needle -3, 138 main and ride the bike easier. You should be able to get 50 mpg (US) without too much problem. What gearing are you running?

i ride mine every day like 30-40 miles , and i'm always going offroad, because where i live there is an offroad shortcut to everything. not to mention i was playing around jumping the storm drain ditch today for 30 minutes, but i haven't filled up in 6 days, and i still have probably 1/4 tank left.... oh and i'm always on the throttle when i'm playin around :banghead: so i guess i'm getting pretty good mileage...........

I'm running stock jets, 142 main and 22.5 pilot.

The bike doesn't seem to be running rich, and they come so lean from the factory. I see that some of you guys are getting the mileage I'm now getting, but

I was getting double the mileage without the mods. I know I'm riding the bike a little harder, but to loose that much range seems wrong. My buddy is running vertually the same moded bike and he is getting what i used get, his riding style is more relaxed but.....

Also my gearing is 14/47

Your bike is running better no? You've increased it's performance and are

burning more fuel to make more power...You need a bigger tank for BAJA...

Wait til you get the FCR installed and ride really hard with that...

I get 20 to25 MPG riding hard off-road with the FCR...

How you ride makes a huge difference to the fuel consumption.

If i stay on the motorway (highway) and hold a steady 56 mph I will get around 125 miles to reserve, if I hold it at 80 mph it will be more like 80 miles to reserve.

Neil. :banghead::banghead:🤣

Thanks for the input, I have ridden rice rockects for years and the mileage never seemed to fluctuate that much, but maybe my riding style was more constant than I remember. Always hard! :banghead:

I didn't think you could cut your mileage in half by riding the bike a little harder, I guess its the smaller displacement, i dunno :banghead:

Something more then simply jetting is responsible for your fuel usage. Your current consumption is about what I would expect with trail ridden usage. Little less at race pace, little more at street pace. 125 to a tank was what I was getting with a stock motor, 15/44 gears, 3x3 mod and DJ kit. On the street,,,,, 220 miles at a time point to point... Take that same bike in the dirt and constantly twist the right grip...and it would see 1/2 that millage from a tank.

On the street,,,,, 220 miles at a time point to point..>>>>> You must mean kms. I can't get 220 miles even with clarke tank on modded bike on street! Unless mine is all f&^%ed up.

On the street,,,,, 220 miles at a time point to point..>>>>> You must mean kms. I can't get 220 miles even with clarke tank on modded bike on street! Unless mine is all f&^%ed up.

No the distance was 220 miles from point to point.... I only got 125 from the tank as I said.. ..so yes I had to stop for gas once in that trip.. I made 8 220 mile runs that summer, home to work site and back on my days off. 220 miles home,,, stay a day, 220 miles back to work the next day. :banghead::banghead: What the hell was I thinking......🤣

No the distance was 220 miles from point to point.... I only got 125 from the tank as I said.. ..so yes I had to stop for gas once in that trip.. I made 8 220 mile runs that summer, home to work site and back on my days off. 220 miles home,,, stay a day, 220 miles back to work the next day. :banghead::banghead: What the hell was I thinking......🤣

220miles i bet that was nice on the butt🤣 i have to stand alot if i go for long rides

Thanks for the responses,

It sounds like the mileage I'm getting is totally normal. I guess I'll have to pack fuel bottles.

But at least I won't have to push :banghead:

Stay stock if MPG is primary goal, dyno jet is a 10 to 15 mpg drop. My first 6,000 miles I was able to run with snorkel removed and richer fuel screw setting with 3x3. That was in the hot summer though.

once fall came , fuel changes and cooler weather led to running issues, I then had to tape over the 3x3 hole but it was still touchy. So I've been with the dyno jet config since that time, no longer seeing 64 to 69 mpg's though.

It took a while to get over it, but I'd rather have it running and it works in all weather conditions., but 50 to 52mpg is pretty normal

pretty bad when your single cyl. bike gets out done at the pumps by a car (toyota echo@55mpg)! Get a big tank and enjoy-stand often, it feels like ski-jumping.

I was getting double the mileage without the mods.

I'll trade you all of my stock stuff for all of your mods so you can get the better mileage :banghead: