Sign in to follow this  

Jumping HOW TOO

Guys I would like to over come a slight fear. I have a very tough time jumping. I am the typical tough football high school joke, who is affraid of jumping. So like 2 feet in the air makes me nervous.

So thats got to change and I would like some great expert advice on how to change my thinking. How do I approach this and learn to hit some doubles and taletops and clear them.

Give me some help. I really want to do this.

find a tabletop that isn't very steep and just start going faster and faster off it each time

BC:

I coudn't agree with aaronc more.

Find a table (or any jump for that matter) and go a little faster each time.

You will slowly build confidence. Confidence = Courage.

Try different jumps with different types of take offs. That is important if you really want to learn what jumping is about. You need to be able to predict the way the bike will hit different take offs. Steeper jumps usually require more throttle in order to fly level. Just do it over and over and over again and pretty soon you will be looking for something that will challenge you.

Find a tabletop with a long gradual take-off ~ prefferably one which both your front and rear tires can roll onto completely BEFORE your front wheel leaves the lip. Short faced jumps tend to kick your rear wheel up sharply as you leave the lip (these take more advanced body english and throttle control to master).

As you approach the jump, keep a steady throttle up until both wheels leave the jump (letting off the throttle will cause you to nose dive).

The most important thing to remember is to start small! Crashing hard will only serve to wreck your confidence (and your ass) and slow down your progression.

BlacksCreek....you and me Dude! I am in process of doing the "Overcoming fear" thing.

aaronc has a great and simple philosophy. Start small and work up. My son and I have been working on "Doubling", we're not there yet but getting more and more confident. The "easy" tabletop is a great place to start!

The face of the jump should preferably be rutless and feel natural (not too steep and sharp). Small table top with long landing are the best but in the end, YOU choose the one you are the most comfortable on.

Then start really small (a few feet) to get the feel of it and be use to the jump. Pay attention to the bike reactions and try to correct them if any. Then if you see that you have full control of the bike in that small amount of air, you can start to go further and further. But be carfull, the bike can have different reaction when going faster and this is why going further step by step is so important.

If you don't crash and do this for an hour or so, you're confidence will go threw the roof but stay withing you abilities. You're final goal is to reach that landing.

Good luck :banghead:

If none of that works for you, try this:

1) Go way too fast

2) Close your eyes

3) Get scared in mid-air and grab onto anything you can except the handlebars

4) Vomit in helmet

5) Bend down and kiss your ass goodbye

This is my personal 5-step program on jumping - you've never seen anybody as consistent with this program as I am.

Good luck!

And number one on the 'what NOT to do list'. Dont chop the throttle off going up a jump! People build up some courage and run like a mad dog up to a jump only to chicken out just as the front wheel starts to clear the lip :banghead: Can you say faceplant?, then the bike usually pile drives you farther into the dirt.

Im no expert jumper for sure but thats what used to get me into trouble.

Leave at least some throttle open going off the face, stay loose and dont do anything stupid and nine times outta ten the bike will do the rest.

And like everyone said, start small.

And if you get it all figured out, show me how.

All good tips here (especially vomiting in your helmet :banghead: ), but the one thing that finally got me over a small double was following a friend that I trusted, had watched clear it a million times, so I knew what would happen. Stayed about 10 feet behind him and held steady all the way over. Still remember the rush of looking down and seeing the downside of the jump :banghead:

Mark

Guys I would like to over come a slight fear. I have a very tough time jumping. I am the typical tough football high school joke, who is affraid of jumping. So like 2 feet in the air makes me nervous.

So thats got to change and I would like some great expert advice on how to change my thinking. How do I approach this and learn to hit some doubles and taletops and clear them.

Give me some help. I really want to do this.

I just started jumping my 250X at the track and the one big thing that was different than jumping my pimped out CRF50 was I had to hold on and almost pull the bars towards me as I launched off the jump. With the 50 I could "suck" the bike up or push the bars down very easily. Not with the 250. I did exactly what was mentioned above. I started on the table tops and slowly increased the speed as I got used to what the bike would do.

All good tips here (especially vomiting in your helmet :banghead: ), but the one thing that finally got me over a small double was following a friend that I trusted, had watched clear it a million times, so I knew what would happen. Stayed about 10 feet behind him and held steady all the way over. Still remember the rush of looking down and seeing the downside of the jump :banghead:

Mark

Yes but you already knew how to jump. He don't want to clear a jump, he plain want to jump. If he follow a guy that clear the table, he will get some major air and won't have a clue what to do with it. He will most likely endo or loop-out on the face at that speed anyway (if he's a total beginner).

I am almost at the same point as you, I am learning to jump and doing exactly what was said here, I am jumping a tabletop, a little at a time, I was letting off the throttle, which was bad, no wrecks, but the front was landing first, so I changed to keep the throttle all the way. One thing I have been doing that has helped big time is I am recording my jumps, I set up a camera and let it roll and record 4 or 5 jumps and then see how they look.

Yes but you already knew how to jump. He don't want to clear a jump, he plain want to jump. If he follow a guy that clear the table, he will get some major air and won't have a clue what to do with it. He will most likely endo or loop-out on the face at that speed anyway (if he's a total beginner).

I'm 31 and been riding off and on since I was 8. I just had a few accidents in my day and this is the result.

1. put my friends CBR600 down in a canyon going about 110mph with no helmet and shorts on.

2. flipped my snowmobile going very faST DOWN A HARD PACK TRAIL.

3. hIT BY A CAR CROSSING A street while walking. She was going 40mph.

4. Blood clot in lung from surgery on my shoulder.

just to name a few.

I got spooked along the way.

Hey! Are us beginners supposed to be standing or sitting?

If none of that works for you, try this:

1) Go way too fast

2) Close your eyes

3) Get scared in mid-air and grab onto anything you can except the handlebars

4) Vomit in helmet

5) Bend down and kiss your ass goodbye

This is my personal 5-step program on jumping - you've never seen anybody as consistent with this program as I am.

Good luck!

Humorous..... but not helpful.

1. put my friends CBR600 down in a canyon going about 110mph with no helmet and shorts on.

??

that kid is one ugly mo fo
Thanks! Even if I don't know what ''mo fo'' mean. 🤣 Mother :banghead: maybe? :banghead:
Hey! Are us beginners supposed to be standing or sitting?
Always standing.