Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Sticking

When I went to ride my 05 CRF450x last sunday I let it warm up for about five minutes, then when i shifted it into gear and it lurched foward and stalled like i hadent had the clutch in all the way. I checked the end play on the lever, it seemed ok so i tried it a couple more times till it finaly went into gear but it was trying to creep foward. I rode it up and down the street a couple times and it started working fine so i went for my ride. Tonite i was in the garage I put it in gear and held the clutch in and pushed it and it just dragged the rear tire. I recently changed the tranny and engine oil but i used the same stuff as befor HP4 10w-40 just like the manual says. I just got the bike brand new a couple months ago I'd say it maybe has a 20 hours on it.

Is this some thing I need to look at or should I consider it normal?

Thanks

Shawn

It sounds like your clutch basket might need a looking at. It is easy to inspect, take off the clutch cover and the six pressure plate bolts. Remove some of the clutch disks and plates and look for grooves worn in the fingers of the clutch basket.

Your basket and plates should not be worn this soon. Before you break it open and look, I would try a good synthetic oil, like Mobil 1 MX4T, or 15-50 Gold Cap, Rotella, or other full syn bike oil. Petroleum based oils break down extremely fast in a clutch and do not reduce friction as much as synthetic. If it was an oil with too much Moly, it would make it slip not grab.