Sign in to follow this  

My 87 TT 350 has a BAD CARB problem

My 87 TT 350 has a problem it will fire when starting with the choke on but quickly dies.

It has sat outside for about 7 years before it was given to me. A good Yamaha shop says I need to replace the original YDSL carbs but I cant find new. I was wondering if there is a

popular after market solution for replacement of the YDSL carbs.

All ignition,electrical has been checked and replaced and working perfectly.

Also it has a rebuilt head new intake manifolds and the valves and timing has also been checked.

Thanks in advance.

Get a manual and clean the jets in the carburator and do a thorough cleaning. Most shops will not work on bikes that have been sitting and been neglected. Can never charge enough. Check the intake boots to make sure they are not cracked too. Get a different mechanic who actually wants to work on "old" bikes preferably and independent dealer or shop.

First, just want to thank you for all the advice.

I bought some Gumout in a spray can and filled a coffee can with it. I soaked the carb in there for the whole weekend, and then I took it to work and used an ultra sonic cleaner for four hours. I used everything you can think of to make sure all the passages where free of dirt. I put it back together: same damn problem was still there!

So I thought maybe I need to check my intake manifolds so I took them to work and used helium leak detector on them and they were leak tight. I didn’t know what direction to go next. All ignition, electrical has been checked and working perfectly. It has a rebuilt head and the valves and timing is on the money.

I was just about going to give up when I saw a guy selling a set of carbs on Craigslist for a 1988 XT 350 for $40 I got them home and pulled the bowl off to my surprise they were very clean my thought was not to disturb anything on them and see if they would work.

I installed them and the bike ran great at first (until it warmed up) then the same damn problem came back!

Then I got to thinking maybe it had different jetting so I swapped the jets and installed the carbs. Three kicks and that was it, my bike runs great now the only thing I can think of is the infamous internal vacuum leak on the original carbs; MAYBE! I don’t know.

Thanks again .

CR500

Id bet the floats were hanging up in the other carb. Or the float level was either too high or low...

Thats my guess tho...I hate stuff like this...

I hate not finding out what the problem was...you dont learn anything...I like learning stuff...