Sign in to follow this  

New to GPS

Hey guys,

Anyone using GPS on trails? Do you find it useful? Would appreciate recommendations on what brand to get. I'd like something small that can be mounted on my XR.

TIA

seems like most like the garmin's, my friend has the garmin legend and he likes it. id do a search on gps's

Hey guys,

Anyone using GPS on trails? Do you find it useful? Would appreciate recommendations on what brand to get. I'd like something small that can be mounted on my XR.

TIA

Just about everyone! At D37 Dual Sport rides about 50% are now using GPS. The most common exchange of tracks are for Garmin. See the ride report for the Mammoth 250 on the D37 message board by a 1st timer.

I speak Garmin, the others are all Greek to me. Yes I do use a GPS for Dual Sporting all the time.

The other week I stumbled onto a huge maze of trails that I had never been in before and thinks to my Garmin V I found my way out of there. Now that maze is on my PC and routed to into my next ride.

The V is not the best GPS to have for everything, but the size and price make it about perfect for a dirt bike. The 276C is the GPS to have for everything.

The new Garmin GPS MAP 60C is the way to go! :banghead:

GA003222.jpg

The GPSMAP® 60C from Garmin is a new all-purpose unit that is at home whether it's outdoors, on the water or in your car. This lightweight, rugged, waterproof unit raises the bar to offer a 256-color display, and top notch performance. The transreflective TFT color screen provides excellent viewing while maximizing your battery life (30 hours, typical use), and Garmin's new faster processor provides enhanced capabilities and tracking. Several customizable display pages clearly show information such as map detail, speed, heading, trip log and much more.

The new USB interface and 56MB of internal map memory make map downloading from Garmin's optional Mapsource CD-ROMs fast and easy. In addition, Garmin has added a host of new features such as increased waypoint and track memory, a built-in Americas Recreational basemap showing highways and interstates throughout North America, display color options, and the ability to have the GPS calculate a turn by turn route for you. Behind the scenes, the GPSMAP 60C has a 12channel WAAS receiver with a built-in Quad Helix antenna for improved reception and better accuracy

Sure, color is great.... but the Garmin GPSMAP 60C is $400.

Most of the color units start around $260.

I started with a Garmin Legend - quickly discovered that the screen was so small I had a hard time reading it - especially when moving. Yes, it is water sealed, good battery life, etc.... but I still burned a set of batteries a day.

So I switched to a Garmin eMap. Not sealed, but it has been through much in the last several years and it's still going. Battery life is less than the Legend, but I just power it from my bike and now I go through a set of batterys a year. BUT - it has a bigger screen. I mount it center on my handlebars and I can read it on the go... it also has a removable memory chip that I can download ALOT into. Without color topo maps are useless - too many lines on screen, but if you can get the Road & Recreation CD off eBay it has what you need. The best part is that you can pick eMap's off eBay for $100, memory chips for $25 and up. Can get up to 128MB!!!! 8MB holds Road & Rec for a whole state.

The Garmin handlebar mount for their various GPS's is totally inadequate. Get a RAM cradle mount, the Touratech mounts look way too over engineered.

Just my .02 ........

i have a MAGELLAN Meridian Gold. it is big but i haven't had any trouble with it.

Hey guys,

Anyone using GPS on trails?

TIA

Yes

Do you find it useful?

TIA

Yes. I do quite a few Dual Sport events a year and have found it to be a benefit. I rely mostly on the roll chart for navigation, but use the GPS to verify the route when I think I may have missed a turn or something.

Would appreciate recommendations on what brand to get. I'd like something small that can be mounted on my XR.

TIA

Garmin is very popular, and as mentioned above, Garmin is the most common exchange format. It really comes down to what your intended use is. If you plan on using it for Dual Sport events only, you can get away with a simple one like the Garmin Foretrex. It is a small wrist mounted (or bar mount) unit with plenty of memory. It does not have the ability to download background maps though. If you are the type of rider who rides for half the day then stops only to realize you have no clue where you are, you might want a different unit. Many have the ability to download background maps which show highways, trails, rivers, etc. This would come in handy when trying to find the nearest stretch of pavement. Nowadays, there are mounts for most all of the GPS units out there.

Garmin Map 60C or CS, best all round GPS in my opinion. I use mine daily on my bike, sled and truck. It's been a life saver a few times.

I've been using a Garmin Map 60C for about a year, and I really like it. The Map 60C also seems to be more resistant to vibration than the older Garmins.

Thanks everyone for your input. I decided to get the Garmin GPSMAP 60CS. I ordered it last night and it should arrive shortly. This unit is a bit pricey, but it's got all the features I want. I'll let you know how I like it.

Marty,

I've been using that GPSMap60CS for over a year now and you are going to love everything about it. I'd really recommend you get the RAM mount from cycoactive.com.

There is a small lanyard included with the GPS. Be sure to put it on the GPS unit, then loop it around the handlebars and pass the GPS unit through the lanyard. This way, it will act as a "safety" just in case the unit ever comes out of the mount.

Also, you are going to want to wire the GPS into your bike for power. Again, see the web site at cycoactive.com. They have some good info on the vibration issues that affect all GPSs when running on batteries. They also sell the Garmin power cord you need (the Garmin 4 pin connector on one end, and bare wires on the other) to wire up your bike to power the GPS.

Enjoy!

BCS

The Garmin Map 60 series can be directly wired to a 12v system. You should a fuse , but no transformers will be needed.

can the "Garmin Map 60C or CS" be hard wired directly to the battery or it needs some transformer like old Emap ?

It can take up to 36v dc and internaly convert it to the voltage that it needs.

that's cool.

and basicaly the C and CS difference is just barometer/altimeter correct ?