Sign in to follow this  

Bang!!

Can anyone help??

I have a 2003 DRZ which I have done 7000 smiles on when throttling off especially after an extended period at high revs it backfires, now at first this was quite funny but now its getting worse! Any ideas? Is this going to cost me a fortune to fix??

Thanks jimbo

Things to check first, an air leak in the exhaust system.

Has the bike been re-jetted at any time, as a weak mixture would also cause this, although it is usually more of a "popping" than a backfire type "bang".

These are the most likely causes, and my guess would be an air leak.

If these checks do not cure it, then more information would be useful.

i.e. what mods have been done, exhaust, 3x3, jetting etc. Also what model is it, "S"-"E" or "K".

Neil.

:banghead::banghead:🤣

Niel,

The bike is a DRZ400E with no modifications! Had it for 4 months since it was 700miles old, bought it from a friend so I know the history. It was fine for first 4000miles then just the odd pop but now its getting worse and worse! I use it to comute around Mallorca and average 70 miles a day 20 on motorway! I wondered if it was because I have been operating it at full throttle for much of its life. When it rains and I slow down :banghead: it backfires less! Oh checked already for leak in exhaust and I cant see any! Any further ideas.

Thanks again

Unburned fuel hitting the hot exhaust header and detonates in the header.. The question is why now are you getting a richening condition when you (i'm assuming) lay off the throttle? Air cleaner is a good start.. Clean it up and see if it takes care of the problem. If this is occuring while on the throttle check and see how strong your spark is. I don't mean to insult anyone, but is your choke completely off? :banghead:

If all the above have been eliminated, consult the Jetting forum or ask any of the very knowlegable guys here like Burned, Bronco, etc... They have A whole lot more experiance than I have anyway!! :banghead:

You guys are brilliant!!! I m embarresed to say I had a mucky air filter! :banghead: Thanks guys you have made my day! 🤣🤣🤣:banghead:

Ahh might have beeen a little hasty in saying it was fixed its much better but still the odd bang! Do you think in view of the fact that cleaning the filter has made it better that the mixture is set a little rich!!

JB

The CE could be starting to act up, mine did the opposite thing and was letting too much fuel in but I guess it maybe able to do the opposite as well.