Sign in to follow this  

Fasst bars, my opinion and findings

All, I just got a set of Fasst bars and here are my unbiased findings.

The good:

They do take the initial jar out of the front end. You can feel the difference between them and standard bars.

The bad ?

You can feel that they are heavier when riding, not terribly but you can feel it. When turning you can feel the give/flex/cushion so the bike does not feel quite as planted or solid as it does with standard bars. It is but is does not feel like it is. They will take some getting used to.

I am 45 expert level skill with tennis elbow and a torn rotor cuff. I like my suspension stiff so if I over jump big ones I do not get spit off. I will keep the bars due to that. So for the woods or if your suspension is set soft I do not think they would be an asset. If you are like me and lousy at gauging jumps and your body has the effects of years of motocross abuse then they are worth looking into. BTW, I got these off ebay for $150.

I had a pair and ended up getting rid of them. I didn't think that the gains were worth the extra weight up high. I ride mostly woods and like my bike as light as possible for flicking back and forth between trees. In open terrain they were fantastic. If I rode track or open stuff more I would have kept them. The guy that I sold them to loves them.

Have you guys tried the tru technologies rider control clamp? Its like the fasst bars but its got elastomers in the triple clamps instead. I wonder if using both would make the bike too squishy

Turboandy, I couldnt agree with you more on your post. I am a 39 year old vet expert and I also like my bike on the stiffer side. When going around corners the bars would almost make my bike feel a little low tire presure like symtoms. But like you I love the when I over jump something I dont feel pain anymore so there staying on my bike. I did alot of playin with these things and heres what I came up with. I tried the softer bumpers and they gave a great ride but it was even more vague. So then I tried the hardest bumpers and to me you just might as well run regular bars in my opinion. Then I went back the to standard red bumpers and I liked them the best but it was still not totally to my liking. What I did to fix it for me was to add 2 more washers to the bumper to give it a little more preload. It gives it the little more firmness at the top of the lets just say the "bar stroke". When installing the washers it will take a little bit of push down to get the bolt to start threading but thats because of the added preload. It also rises the the bars ends a small amount which I like also Im about 6'1. Thanks Mark