Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Helmet law?

What's the law in Idaho? Not taking the dirt bike, just the atv for hunting.. :banghead: Thanks

None.....

I am not sure why you would ride without a helmet, but I know Darwin must be a happy individual everytime someone gets on a quad without a helmet. :banghead::banghead:

i'm pretty sure idaho has no helmet law, but i don't hunt, and if i did hunt i sure as hell wouldn't ride an atv to do it.

i see lotsa dumbass harley types riding helmetless there.

Under 18 must wear a helmet. No helmet for anyone over 18.........dumbass law!

Not hunting off a atv..used only to haul out game.. :banghead:

Cheaper than burning diesel to do the same task :banghead:

Jeez..Sorry..no more ATV questions from me..

Not hunting off a atv..used only to haul out game.. :banghead:

Cheaper than burning diesel to do the same task :banghead:

Jeez..Sorry..no more ATV questions from me..

A lot of the members here, on the Thumpertalk forum are prejudiced against people that ride ATV's, since they associated them with the stereo-typical drunk, un-skilled, helmet-less, yahoo that typically gets in the news for either hurting/killing themselves, or, their offspring, instead of the majority of ATV enthusiasts, from my own personal experience, that do none of the above, any more then any dirt bike rider I’ve ever seen (usually, the dirt bikers are the most offensive, of the two, roosting people, passing unsafely, jumping without a spotter, and just generally riding in obnoxious ways) in the 33 years of motorcycling and ATV’ing I’ve done.

They usually come across as elitist “racers”, as well, and like to flame anyone and everyone they can that mentions anything about ATV’s.

Anyway, as far as the topic goes, regardless of the law for your state, it would be prudent to wear a helmet. I would suggest one with a quick release buckle, for ease of removal, when it’s time to hunt, etc. Full face would be best, maybe one that the chin bar flips up on, for ease of removal, as well.

Heck, even a bicycle helmet would be better then no helmet, if you don’t intend to go very fast, though, an actual motorcycle helmet would protect you better, if you rolled the ATV over and it lands on your head. It all depends on the terrain. Hills, ruts, trails that may lead to a roll over, motorcycle helmet, all the way.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

A lot of the members here, on the Thumpertalk forum are prejudiced against people that ride ATV's, since they associated them with the stereo-typical drunk, un-skilled, helmet-less, yahoo that typically gets in the news for either hurting/killing themselves, or, their offspring, instead of the majority of ATV enthusiasts, from my own personal experience, that do none of the above, any more then any dirt bike rider I’ve ever seen (usually, the dirt bikers are the most offensive, of the two, roosting people, passing unsafely, jumping without a spotter, and just generally riding in obnoxious ways) in the 33 years of motorcycling and ATV’ing I’ve done.

They usually come across as elitist “racers”, as well, and like to flame anyone and everyone they can that mentions anything about ATV’s.

Anyway, as far as the topic goes, regardless of the law for your state, it would be prudent to wear a helmet. I would suggest one with a quick release buckle, for ease of removal, when it’s time to hunt, etc. Full face would be best, maybe one that the chin bar flips up on, for ease of removal, as well.

Heck, even a bicycle helmet would be better then no helmet, if you don’t intend to go very fast, though, an actual motorcycle helmet would protect you better, if you rolled the ATV over and it lands on your head. It all depends on the terrain. Hills, ruts, trails that may lead to a roll over, motorcycle helmet, all the way.

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

Not flaming ATV rides, simple flaming the basis of the question.... DO I NEED A HELMET?

Nice elitest comment... :banghead:

Not flaming ATV rides, simple flaming the basis of the question.... DO I NEED A HELMET?

i'm flaming atv riders. i hate them. atv's are the worst thing to ever happen to dirtbiking

i'm flaming atv riders. i hate them. atv's are the worst thing to ever happen to dirtbiking

I am petitioning my legistlature to bring back 3-wheeler sales

:banghead:

I disagree, it's definately extreme rock crawling 4WD vehicles with idiots behind the wheel that are the worst thing that has happened to motorcycles and our cherished single track. :banghead: These are awesome examples of engineering and are impressive to watch but some of these a-holes don't know when they are supposed to stop. :banghead:🤣🤣

I used to feel the same way about the quads but we have learned to co-exist and quite frankly they know better than to attempt the stuff that we ride. I do see alot of quad guys though, every weekend, with out a helmet. They might be slowly meandering down an old two track but they have no helmet none the less.

Have a built old school 83 Toyota rock crawler..hasn't been on a trail in four years due to the buggy a-holes pissing me off 🤣

Been riding dirt bikes for 35 years..I'm 48 now 🤣 Still have two huskies and a new 05 WR450 Yamaha.. :banghead:

Sometimes I forget to put the helmet on when idling down a flat forest service road..Just don't want to break any laws..I've been injured enough on the dirt bikes to know they have saved my life on more than one occasion..

Didn't want to start a quad vs. bike debate.. :banghead: Thanks for all the information..

I ride an "ATV" does that your flaming me? I've ridden and raced quads and cycles i know the ropes better than you do. SO before you start your flaming pull your head out of your ass because I will gaurentee that it takes much more dedication to race a quad at a competitive level than you could ever imagine doing your self.

I will gaurentee that it takes much more dedication to race a quad at a competitive level than you could ever imagine doing your self.

That is true, buuuuttttt.................................................to many inexperienced people get on quads and ride like dipships, cause they are easy to ride, anyone can get on one and ride it, cause unlike a bike they don't have to worry about falling over :banghead:

i agree but when i put everything i have into racing and competing my YFZ i ticks me off just little bit when people who are arogant and dont think about the dedicated racers out there that ride quads.

My teammate thinks the exact same thing about dirtbike guys when we go racing or any where for that matter. He thinks all 2 wheeled guys are evel because of all the bashing that bike guys do.

Racers are racers Idiots are idiots theres people like that every where. You cant just single out one group.

I ride an "ATV" does that your flaming me?

yup. that's exactly what it means. don't take it too personally tho. you might be a nice guy otherwise.

the whole argument about how hard it is to ride a quad is not very convincing. it's still dumb to ride a quad unless you're drunk, physically handicapped, or just plain uncoordinated. i could blab on about how hard it is to ride with 5' section of 2x4 strapped to my ass and a square front wheel, but it would still be a dumb way to ride. dirt bikes are better (with round wheels).

I disagree, it's definately extreme rock crawling 4WD vehicles with idiots behind the wheel that are the worst thing that has happened to motorcycles and our cherished single track.

hmm. that's a problem i haven't seen around here. maybe i should be more specific and say 'atv's are the worst thing ever to happen to dirtbiking in nevada and northern california', because those are the areas i know the best. i've seen some rockcrawling competitions at moonrocks and in moab, but i haven't seen any problems on the trail. doesn't mean those problems aren't there, just that i haven't seen them.

yup. that's exactly what it means. don't take it too personally tho. you might be a nice guy otherwise.

the whole argument about how hard it is to ride a quad is not very convincing. it's still dumb to ride a quad unless you're drunk, physically handicapped, or just plain uncoordinated. i could blab on about how hard it is to ride with 5' section of 2x4 strapped to my ass and a square front wheel, but it would still be a dumb way to ride. dirt bikes are better (with round wheels).

hmm. that's a problem i haven't seen around here. maybe i should be more specific and say 'atv's are the worst thing ever to happen to dirtbiking in nevada and northern california', because those are the areas i know the best. i've seen some rockcrawling competitions at moonrocks and in moab, but i haven't seen any problems on the trail. doesn't mean those problems aren't there, just that i haven't seen them.

Basically an all out war at our local riding area. It has been single track for 50 years, crawlers come in and start converting the trails and now the place is on the verge of being shutdown..... They need a place to play and I think they should have it but not at the expense of my hardwork and precious single track. Luckily the smart ones understand this but they are out numbered by the idiots.... :banghead:

Nope, No Helmet law here, but most riders wear them on the Freeway anyway.

They need a place to play and I think they should have it but not at the expense of my hardwork and precious single track. Luckily the smart ones understand this but they are out numbered by the idiots.... :banghead:

Exactly! They do need a place to play but why do they think they have to ruin every mile of singletrack they find?

The way I see it, if the FS and land managers won't keep the quads and 4x4's from ruining the few available miles of singletrack motorized, then it's time to go riding the singletrack available - HIKING trails!!!

There's thousands of miles of pristine singletrack available it's just called non-motorized. :banghead: