Sign in to follow this  

is there any importance to the US open

Besides getting to see a random race, why do we have a random race?

I grew up racing in the late 80's- 96, so I missed the invention of this race. What is it for? IMO these guys need a break, when the best riders say they want to start racing half seasons in there mid 20's somethings got to give.

Hey I love to watch SX/MX and I'm not complaing about getting to watch another, but I think I'm missing the purpose of this race.

They don't HAVE to enter it.

It is not a points race or anything.

Money and bragging rights.

Usually to debut a new model in a high profile race, without endangering any AMA bike debut rules, first race under a riders new team/bike/contract, so on and so forth.

It's the biggest party weekend you'll ever attend...Most of those guys stay in Vegas for days after this event...

Lot's of crazy things happen there, like the time I went in '01 and when RC was introduced on his Honda for the first time he was booed, and not for like a few seconds but a minute or so. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Is there any importance to the US open?"

Let's see...

Everyone's gonna be there on their '06 rides!

It's in Vegas!

You can go ridin' in any direction on your scoot...in the Dez!

It's MOTO!

It's in Vegas!

Bubba on the 450!

It's in Vegas!

None whatsoever.

The race is held as a big-money (the biggest) race in hopes of attracting all of the top riders to come and race for the cash prize. All it is is good publicity for the sport, and it helps attract new fans. All good things. Too bad Reed isn't racing this year.

Thanks, you guys are right in our sport most riders are not super rich atheletes (not the top 3) like in other main stream sports :banghead: , and it is good to see someone step up :banghead: with a big purse allowing some people who daily put there life on the line for there job and reap some rewards.

Thanks, you guys are right in our sport most riders are not super rich atheletes (not the top 3) like in other main stream sports :banghead: , and it is good to see someone step up :banghead: with a big purse allowing some people who daily put there life on the line for there job and reap some rewards.

Last time I checked, they were (the big guys) on multi-million dollar contracts.

Yeah, so a few get a few million dollar contracts.

Football and baseball players demand 25 million just to stand up.

"OUCH!! I sprained my finger!!! I can't play now! I'm out for 6 weeks!" Meanwhile, $121,000 is adding to their bank account every week.

All the while, RC is out there getting slammed pummeled and beat around, and he wins hands down.

I guarantee you, had a football player needed three stitches in his finger in practice, he'd have sat on the sidelines until the stitches were removed.

Not Carmichael. He gets stitches put in and spanks the field.