Sign in to follow this  

bar mount kits for SM

I still want to put a set of oversized bars on my sm and a while back I was told that the TAG T2 clamps are not the best design and may come undone.I guess the main bolt isn't long enough.

trojan-mount.jpg

Are the ones made by BRP any better:

link

There are also ones made by protaper but they are that stackable design which I'm not crazy about.

link

I even found a no name brand but they have the same part # as protaper mounts?:

link

If anyone has these please comment on how they are so far? main bolt long enough? installation? etc.

Thanks

Sal

P.S for those of you guys that are first time drz owners or drzsm, This is my first 4 stroke 2 wheeler and I must say right after I added a pipe/ 3x3 Thx burned/ jetted carb, This bike is a beast.

Are you running the stock triple clamp and is it the same triple clamp as the dirt model?

Perry

SM clamp is different. The SM has 47mm Showa USD forks so the clamping diameter is larger. The offset is gonna be different to.

An 05 RM clamp is likely the same but the DRZ one has mounts for speedo etc.

The SM and RMs now have removable barmounts on the OEM machines instead of a one piece clamp like the DRZ traditional clamps.

I wonder if I could just buy the stock bar mounts from lets say an rmz450 or an rm 250, they are all the removable kind. I wonder how much those go for and if they fit?

Also Thanks Monkey for the suggestion, I really like those Renthals (price is little high, 90$), maybe those with a set of fatbars and I'll call it a day. But If I could get another set in the 40 to 50 range that would be nicer. Damn I sound cheep. :banghead:

I just got a hold of some nice renthal kit for my SM some nice black Fatbars in Street supermoto bend, the matching clamps for the bars, Full waffle grips and glue to boot, just gotta get round to fitting it all! :banghead:

let us know when you fit them, maybe you could post a pic. That setup is going to look incredible. I started to black out my yellow sm and will take some pics as soon as it stops raining over here.

mydrz.jpg

let us know when you fit them, maybe you could post a pic. That setup is going to look incredible. I started to black out my yellow sm and will take some pics as soon as it stops raining over here.

mydrz.jpg

That's looking good. Are you gonna leave some yellow or make it all black? I think a nice combo would look great...

By the way Sal, I sent you a Private Message...

i used the uni kit with my protapers.i used to have this kit on my 94 yz250 and they held up with no problems.

I dunno if you're the one that asked me about TAG T2 CL003 mounts but I purchased a set based on theMONKEY's setup. I'm using them without any problem but they aren't the best design. The SS bolt that goes into the black clamp isn't as secure as it should be and can easily come undone when removing the clamps. The bolts came undone both side in my case when removing the clamps. I don't think this will be an issue once they are installed but regardless the design is lacking.

Yes that was me. So I guess your saying once they are mounted and tightened, they're fine right? But they could have been designed with a better bolt in place and so on...

I think if they are solid once mounted correctly, They are good enough for me. Thanks lstepnio

Do you still use the stock rubber piece under the clamp?

Yes, I'm using the stock rubber parts and metal insert with the clamps.

I think they will be fine, if they loosen up between the clamp and the bolt just use some locktight and figure out a way to torque them down as much as possible. If you have access to a welder you could consider spot welding the bolt in place from inside of the clamp or heck drip some locktight in there and let dry overnight prior to install.

I dunno, knowing what I know I just wouldn't buy them again but I'm way anal. The design of the stock clamp or solid part would be something I would look for in the future if purchasing clamps. Also bars to me seemed a little wobbly until my triple clamp mounted hand guards went in. <shrug>

I raced motocross with the protaper ones for two seasons on my '99 yz125..

Never bent the bars, never had to tighten the clamps, plus they raised my bars 7/8" which made it alot more comfy, standing up.

I whole heartedly recommend the pro-taper mounts

I also used the renthals with supermoto bend and i'm really pleased with them,heres afew pics... :banghead:

thumper12.jpg

ps,there not my slippers..............

thumper1.jpg

Sal I am doing the same thing... sort of i have to after some old lady thought maybe she could use my bike for a jump ramp for her car in a parking lot.... the renthal look nice but at $90 i will probibly go wit the pro tapers