Sign in to follow this  

Looking For DRZ Engine Rebuiler in Nor Cal

Hey DR Brothers,

My buddy's 2003 California DRz400S engine got "toasted" a couple of weeks ago when the dang oil plug fell out on a ride. Of course he wasn't aware of this happening and continued riding “full tilt willy” until the thing started clanging and clattering and then almost immediately shut off.

After replacing the drain plug and oil, the bike starts but makes nasty noises. The guys a little down on his luck right now and I’d like to help him by removing the motor and taking it to a competent builder who will not bend us over to repair this thing. I live in the Sacramento Roseville area and have been very disappointed in our local dealers service and integrity.

Can you recommend a small shop in the Nor Cal area that does good and reasonably priced work? I’d be will to drive around 150 miles to drop off and pick-up the motor once it’s out.

Please respond to the thread or send me a private message.

I can not help with finding a rebuilding in Cali, but that exact same thing happened to one of the guys on my last ride.

He was on an XR400, lost the drain plug. Noticed it before engine damage....oil was flowing on his boot when the engine was shut off.

Anyway, another rider went to get oil while a temporary oil plug was made!! LOL :banghead::banghead: Them tree branches can be downright handy in some situations. Look at the threads in the pic.

Soooo...got back to camp...no extra oil bolt. But one of the fella's did have a tapping kit and retapped the oil drain to a size of something we did have on hand!!🤣🤣 His bike oil drain hole is now tapped to a size that everybody will have!! LOL

DCP00583.jpg

Newdrainbolt.jpg

Where are you located ?

In the Bay ARea, you have Doug's Motorcycle in San Mateo, GREAT GUY

and in Mountain View you have Ellsworth Machining. Great work too!

Christian

Roger your a good friend to help Phil-man out like this. I can help you pull the engine and maybe we can work in a ride if we take a road trip to drop it off for repair. We could hit Hollister if we go to the Bay Area. Oregon is a little far but what the heck if the price is right, we could always do Stonyford on the way. . .

Your making a good investment in the Karma bank.

i beleive jesse is just over the border.

http://www.kientech.com/

i second jesse. he's an super nice guy and will totally work with you. he's coming down to the bay area around the end of october to drop off some bikes and pic some up. give him a call and see if you can meet him somewhere on his route. i know he goes riding in stonyford as well so he might be able to meet you there.

i doubt you will find a cheaper rebuild by a machinist/builder totally dedicated to thumpers and DR/DRZs. he's even let me crash in his RV when i've taken my bike up there, but you can also camp out at this campsite right by his house/shop.

Wow!.....You guys are fantastic. Thanks for all of the great tips. I'll start making some calls......Thanks again.

Also, Gene and I will let you know how it works out.