Sign in to follow this  

Yoshimura RS-3 Full System for the 'E' on a 2005 SM???

I have read on one of the threads that one person has put a Yosh RS-3 Full system for a DRZ400E model onto a 2005 SM, without any modifications. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this. Parts Canada catalog lists the E system and says that it will not fit the street version. My impression from what I have read on this forum is that it should fit, but I am not sure. Any input on this would be appreciated.

Also if anyone has done it and it works, can I get the part number of the system just to double check with what I am ordering.

I have a E model rs-3 on my 05 SM and it fits great you just need to fabricate a new mid mount. I made mine out .125" 7075T5 alum. I can put on photos if any wants, it is even rubber mounted around the bolt. Also if you want I can fabricate one for you for a minimal price.

Thanks rjmech, a picture would be great. If it's not too difficult to fabricate I can probably make it in the shop at work. If I can't though, I'd gladly have you make me one for some cash.

Since you have already installed the system, how do you like the sound and performance?

Also, what other mods have you done with it, and how have you changed the jetting?

The bracket was a piece of cake, I removed all of the old mount, installed the yosh exhaust, milled out the bracket to fit, figured out where the holes and put them in the bracket, installed a MS (aircraft) split rubber grommet, reused the frame bolts and purchased a new allen head bolt to fit the exhaust mid mount. You should be able to do it no problem,its quite easy.

The sound: w/out any insert it's f-in loud , I am currently running the med insert around town cuts the sharpness and doesn't give a noticeable drop in hp and maybe even a little boost in the mid range (similar to noise of 916 w/54mm exhaust), haven't tried the small.

Jetting: I used the older S model jet kit like, but w/ a 150 main and the usual 25 pilot, 4th clip position, 2.25 turns out mixture. I started w/ the 142.5 the to a 145 mains and am now very happy w/ the 150, some people are going to 155. If I were to do it again buy the FMF Sm specific jet kit.

When I did the exhaust I also did the 3x3 airbox mod that ended up being 4.5X5. With all the jetting/exh/airbox work it defiantly makes it a very good street bike, before I did all of the work I thought it really lacked power but handled great, now it does both.

Other mods area Baja designs led tail light and front and rear 1/2" mini turn signals, I made new brackets for them also that I mounted to the original location. and finally Acerbis hand guards and custom mirrors (made from aluminum and cheap mirrors. I also removed the tool kit, reflectors, helmet lock, passenger peg, and some other useless crap.

If you need me to make them its no problem and they would be cheap. Pm me your email or look in my garage for photos.

Have fun.

Nice job on all of the custom stuff. Looks good.

Thanks for all of the input, I think I am going to order the full E system soon.