RM parts on DRZ ?

What if any parts off an Rm will work on the DRZ? I'm looking for several items including levers, bars, triple-clamps, wheels, etc etc...

I was wondering if any other bikes had stuff that fit the DRZ?

I did a search and asked around and afaik the RM levers will fit the DRZ but the front brake switch won't operate. I also think the RM trees will fit w/some mods.

It's hard to find this kind of cross reference info(for me anyway).

RM125 and RM250 parts are generally a bolt on fit to a DRZ.

-The rear hub is narrower on the RMs though.

-The front wheel bolts right in from 96 and up at least.

-The rear brake setup from 99 and up RMs is a 240mm disc instead of the 220 like the DRZ has. You can get a caliper bracket off a 99 and up RM for the rear to use the 240mm discs.

-RM triple clamps are a bolt on fit and allow you to use different forks.

There are different years that have different clamp offsets and different model forks however so you have to know all the specifics. Refer to an old post of mine here :

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173606&page=3

I have done most of the mods I am telling you about you can see them in my garage.

Oh yes I believe swingarms up to 03' should bolt in also but you would have to use an RM rear hub also.

• 4 weeks later...

anyone else have tried doing this before? i'm not particularly worried about the fork diameter but the width. a friend of mine tried a 00 RM250 Applied top clamp on his 05 DRZ400SM and it was too narrow for the gap that set the forks apart. I'm worried that i'll be facing the same problem.

thanks... will be waiting patiently... heh... please contribute if you've tried before... i just spoke to errol and he said maybe i'll need to get another spacer for my axle and it will make the forks narrower... it shouldn't be a problem... i'll just have to wait till the triple clamp arrive in 7 days time

thanks... will be waiting patiently... heh... please contribute if you've tried before... i just spoke to errol and he said maybe i'll need to get another spacer for my axle and it will make the forks narrower... it shouldn't be a problem... i'll just have to wait till the triple clamp arrive in 7 days time
Hi Ryan..... I sent you a PM. I hope you bought the right clamps. Like I mentioned in my PM you wont have to worry about axles and spacers it will bolt right on. :banghead:

I have been traveling lately...... sorry for the delay in answering your questions. I am usually on TT every night. If not there is definitely a reason. :banghead:

the 04 RM250 triple clamps have arrived.. upon sight and the use of a measuring tape.. it seems to be not a direct bolt on for the 05 DRZ400SM.

I will try it tomorrow and see whether the diameter fits or not. it is measured that the width of the SM triple clamps is about 10 inches and the P3 Pro taper 04 RM250 triple clamps is measured at about 9.6 inch.. looks like i need to fabricate new spacers and get the trailtech.

the 04 RM250 triple clamps have arrived.. upon sight and the use of a measuring tape.. it seems to be not a direct bolt on for the 05 DRZ400SM.

I will try it tomorrow and see whether the diameter fits or not. it is measured that the width of the SM triple clamps is about 10 inches and the P3 Pro taper 04 RM250 triple clamps is measured at about 9.6 inch.. looks like i need to fabricate new spacers and get the trailtech.

The RM series should be the same as it always has been...... many people have done RM front ends on thier DRZs and they are a bolt on fit. I want to make sure good info is passed along and I think you are wrong. ? No offense intended. ?

10 to 1 you will bolt them on and it will work fine no mods required. :applause:

BTW I just went and measured the fork spacing distance on the triple clamps

2000 RM clamp = 200mm center to center (7.87 in)

2003 RM clamp = 200mm center to center (7.87 in)

Where did you come up with 9.6 and 10 inches???? Those don't even sound right. ? Your measurements should be center to center and put the tape measure away and use some calipers. :ride:

Oh ya forgot to mention.... remember the clamping diameter is smaller on the top clamp than the bottom clamp. Were you measuring from the edge to the edge? Maybe the bottom clamp on one vs. the top clamp on the other. Thats why you measure center to center. Eliminates human error. ?

PM me if you want to sell those OEM clamps. ?

i was just doing the lazy & eager man method of measurement by pulling the tape across from the outer most point of the left clamping area to the right. :applause: i was merely measuring the top clamp and using some eye judgement to see whether it fits. will be dropping by a friend's place later to get the calipers to measure.. will post a reply by then... hopefully i'm wrong then i could go ahead and buy my handlebars and get it mounted on by end of this week.

• 1 month later...

the 04 rm250 pro taper p3 top and bottom clamps will not fit the drz400sm. the measurements of the rm clamps width from left to right is about 13.5 mm the stock clamp is a 16mm there is a need to bring the forks narrower to 13.5mm. the offset on each side will cause the fork to hit the tyres when it bottom out. one solution is to change to a 110 profile tyres but i think i'm not going to do that. so i'm off loading these pair of clamps. it'll be priced at USD$150. buyer to pay shipping from singapore to wherever you are :applause:

here are the pictures of the clamps

Img_0159.jpg

Img_0158.jpg

Ryan I don't know where you came up with 13.5 or 16mm.... but this is what you should have come up with for the 04 RM250 / 05 and up RM clamps. (I have measured a pair of 05 clamps) :

A = Fork spacing center to center

B = Doesn't really matter I just added it for comparison sake

C = Fork clamping diameter

D = Clamp Offset

Furthermore I ran a set of RM clamps with 49mm USD forks on my Supermoto conversion. (Larger diameter forks than your SM) No clearance issues with any front tires. :applause:

top_05_clamp_meas.jpg

bottom_05_clamp_meas.jpg