Sign in to follow this  

My oil smelled like gas today.....

I changed my oil today. It had about 250 miles on it. I started the bike, rode around for about 5 or 10 minutes and changed the oil and filter. I noticed a smell of gasoline in the oil as it drained. Is that normal? Maybe it got a little flooded when I tried to start it? Is it a sign of something worse, or should I just ignore it? Thanks guys/gals.

If you have a vacuum fuel tap check that it is not leaking.

If you have a manual tap, turn it off when the engine is not running.

The other common reason is the float level being set to high or a leaking float valve.

No need to panic yet, carry out these checks and then check the oil again after about 200 miles.

Neil. :banghead::banghead:🤣

I guess it would tend to be how bad, but if you go and smell that new oil you just put in it will probably have a gas smell also.

Now one time I dumped oil and the fuel smell about knocked me out, that was bad, but it was a one time event , changes afterwards were not like that.

That oil change I'd had the bike on a trailer for about 700 miles and then rode some offroad and street and the oil had about 2000 miles on it, that one dump was the worst I'd had in that reguard. That was not acceptable but was a fluke for some reason.