Sign in to follow this  

Loading bike into truck?

How are you guys loading your bikes into the back of your trucks? When I used to ride an XR250 is was really easy for me to do it by myself. But since I've gone to an '01 YZ426 I have to have someone help me.

I've been tempted to just ride it up the ramp but so far I haven't got the nerve up to try :banghead::banghead:

So do you guys do it alone? Ride it up the ramp? Have someone help you?

here is how i do it

get a good long ramp

put a 24" ladder or your ice chest next to it

then get a small run with the bike up the ramp then as you get half way up step on the ladder/ice chest and go the rest of the way

real quick and easy

my friend does it this way and he is 5'4

That's pretty much what I did with my XR....but my ramp is not what I would call "long"...maybe I just need a longer one.

That's pretty much what I did with my XR....but my ramp is not what I would call "long"...maybe I just need a longer one.

i have the folding ramp that is kinda arched and is about 7 foot long

I ride it up every once in a while, but I have heard of a couple of people putting there front tire through the back window :banghead: Also have used the cooler as a step with a running start.

How are you guys loading your bikes into the back of your trucks? When I used to ride an XR250 is was really easy for me to do it by myself. But since I've gone to an '01 YZ426 I have to have someone help me.

I've been tempted to just ride it up the ramp but so far I haven't got the nerve up to try :banghead::banghead:

So do you guys do it alone? Ride it up the ramp? Have someone help you?

isn't your yz about the same weight as an xr250? what's the problem?

if you have a proper american truck, riding up the ramp works great (if the truck isn't too tall). if you have a cheezy tundra, be very very careful or you'll bend the front of the bed up against the cab. ask me how i know.

if the bike is warm (like when i'm done riding), i fire it up and use the clutch in first gear to walk it up the ramp so i don't have to push. i use my toolbox to step on. since the truck bed is too high for me to just step right onto.

when cold, if i think about it i park facing downhill, or with the rear wheels in a low spot to make life easier.

mw

I push the 650R up one ramp while walking up the other ramp. Usually have to get one good run at it to build up some momentum so the pig doesn't push me back down the other ramp.

Use your bike stand as a step while pushing the bike up the ramp.

I remember my muddy rear tire slipping off a makeshift 2x8 board ramp and having the back of my bike fall out from under me. :banghead:

Since then, I have upgrading to the super-wide!!!

http://www.extrememotorsales.com/foldingramp.jpg

I can ride it up ot walk it up with this. It's also way lighter than a narrow steel folding ramp I had also bought after the 2x8 incident.

We use to strap 2 2by8 board together and ride up it. ell, atleast i hesitated to do it on a ttr 125l (sold), but my dad did it once. It is scary because you need speed to get up the ramp, but once you get to the top, you need to stop and there isn't any traction on the truck bed. My dad cut angled ridges in the ramps and painted them with latex paint that has sand in it. It works well when it is wet or muddy.

...or with the rear wheels in a low spot to make life easier.

That's the best trick. Drop your truck's rear wheels into a gully, or back it up to any rise that's close by -- anything to to get the front of the ramp close to the same height as the back. It's cheap, easy and safe.

Dan.

Use your bike stand as a step while pushing the bike up the ramp.

thats exactly what i do and have done even with a lifted truck.once you do it enough you will get used to it.

I use the "combination of ingredients" approach. I park the truck in as advantageous a location as possible, and will quite often power brake the truck some to dig the back end in 3-4 inches. I try not to do that if there will be a major dust issue in a crowd. :banghead: Folding ramp for extra length, and at least one lift stand for a step.

I occasionally ride it up, but not too often. If you guys want to see something, I saw a guy at Elsinore ride his bike DOWN the ramp, backwards!

the way i do mine is pretty interesting actually....

the only thing i use is a flat 2x6 board..its about five feet long...i put it on the tailgate of the truck and then push my bike up. When the front wheel drops over the front over the board it acts as a wheel choch and doesnt let the bike roll back down. Then, holding onto the bike with my left hand i grab the side of the bed with my right hand, step up on the bumper, and then step into the bed of the truck and pull the rest of the bike in. This works good because my truck is tall and i cant just step into the back of it.

Oh yah, and i just hook my tie downs up and lay them out before i do this, that when when the bike is in the truck i dont have to have somebody hold it while i get tiedowns..just pick 'em up and strap it down.

EASIEST way to do it is to just spend the money and buy a good solid, lightwight ramp that you know you will be able to ride up without breaking. Just remember that if you ride your bike up to hit the brakes before yoru front wheel hits the front of your bed..otherwise it will make the front body panel of your bed bow out and bend..learned this this hard way.

... If you guys want to see something, I saw a guy at Elsinore ride his bike DOWN the ramp, backwards!

Sweet! :banghead:

doesnt anyone lift ther bike in the old fashioned way? bikes weigh nothing these days

doesnt anyone lift ther bike in the old fashioned way? bikes weigh nothing these days

do ya ride a bicycle or drive a car?

why do it the hard way

im tired when im done riding and dont feel like lifting a 225 bike in the back of my lifted truck

so i bought a trailer

I got an extra long ramp (about 1-2 ft longer than normal) that they had at my dealer. Oxlite Manufacturing 84" I believe. Put that on my tailgate.

I also always have a standard plastic milk crate with me which I put next to the ramp. As I get the bike moving at decent speed to ramp and it gets 25% - 50% up the ramp I simply step up on the milk crate next to the ramp that makes iit soooooooo much easier to then step up to the truck bed. :banghead: Sure it would work as well with the standard shorter ramps as well though.