Sign in to follow this  

Valve Trouble?!

OK, it looks like it's finally happened to me. My '04 250R ran just beautifully all day yesterday at the track. I kicked it one time to fire it up when loading it on the trailer and when I got home, I couldn't start it for anything. Thinking I might have flooded it or something, I put it away and left it alone. When I came home from work today, I tried to start it and nothing.

I checked the valves and the intakes are VERY close to zero. The exhausts are both at .008. I've got easily 150+ hours on this bike still on the original valves and piston.

In reality, I've been waiting for this day since I brought it home two years ago so I'm not pissed at all. Yeah, I'm a little bummed that I'm about to spend some pretty serious cash to fix it but I've gotten my money's worth out of them in my opinion.

I guess I'm looking for advice because I could shim them but I have a feeling that would give me a few hours of riding before they'd zero out again. I've considered calling Randy at Fastmann to get his advice but I know he'd tell me to replace them with Ferrea stainless valves. At this point, that's the direction I'm leaning towards but if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears.

replace them with kibblewhite stainless of ferrea stainless. Don't forget about the spring kit.

I agree....06 head and stock valves, why would you even consider anything else after getting 150 hours out of the originals? It is my personal opinion that Honda spent many thousands on r&d and spec`d titanium for a reason.

Hey weezer. Going through the same thing right now. (got about the same amount of hours out of it) Just got an 05 head, oem valves,springs, and seals for 450 bucks at planet honda. They had it all in stock and shipped it here (cali) in five days. Service honda is cheaper but wont tell you what parts may be on back order. TT store is supposed to sell oem stuff but I havent tried that yet. While you have it apart, stick a cam and high comp piston in it. Total parts bill was 750$.

OBTW. Check the valve guides. We went to the 05 head because the exhaust guides were shot and one intake seat was iffy and for 250$ for a new head it isnt worth messing with.

Not sure of the hours but have a little more than 2200 miles on my 04 X. Saw where Honda changed the valve material on the head for 06 R and the piston so I ordered up all the parts I would need to make it like new. Got the head in 5 days and everything but the Intake valves came today. Word has it the valves are on back order. Only time will tell.