Sign in to follow this  

06 450 xc

They're out. I have one on the way. Do a search both here and KTM Talk for XC 450. I saw a fairly thourough report on the bike on both sites.

Thats what I thought. I used to mx my 426 but have been ridding it in the woods and harescramblers the past few years. It is set up with a rekluse and other woods goodies. The 450xc sounds like it would be alot like a yz426 in the woods.... but better????

I rode a 450XC and was very impressed. I liked it more than any of the EXCs or MXCs or SX. I might just add an Orange bike to my collection of Red ones.

Rode one this weekend. Very impressed but not convinced that a stripped/modded WR250f would be just as good or better woods weapon. 450 would smoke it though when trail opens up.

Also rode a 400EXC - really would consider only if needing the lights.

300XC - a death in the woods waiting to happen for an inexperienced rider -this thing had instant-on power from way low. Unbelievable. Have been off 2 smokes for a long time but seemed to recall a power band. I rode about a mile in tight woods on all the bikes and never got the 300 past 1/4 throttle.

Just my impressions.

I love mine. All around hot rod dirtbike is the best description. I have done a couple of mods to mine (springs, stabilizer, jetting) and its really good. I use it for everything, MX, GPs, playriding etc and its good everywhere.

Reg

I have had two setups. 185m, stock needle with clip 2nd from the bottom, 48p 2 turns out on the screw. My dealer did this and it ran good. I recently got a JD kit, 172m, blue needle with clip in top groove, 42p, 1 1/4 out on the screw. JDs stuff is better in the 1/4 to 3/4 throttle range, same on top, but I have a tiny hesitation right off idle. The hitch might be because I installed a Storm fuel screw and I think the tiny o-ring is bad. If I can fix the off-idle hesitation the I'll be sold on JDs kit, even though the price is high, I see enough work in making custom needles to justify the $.

Reg

old-n-sloow,

I had the same off idle hesitation with the JD Jetting. I tried every possible set up, some with James Dean's help, but the hesitation would not go away. I eventually went back to the stock needle at one clip richer, stock main, 48 pilot, and 1 1/4 turns out. I can't tell any difference in performance and I only change to a 45 pilot when I ride above 5,000'.

My buddy has the same bike as I do and has never had the hesitation with his JD kit. I also liked it on my CRF450. :banghead:

old-n-sloow,

I had the same off idle hesitation with the JD Jetting. I tried every possible set up, some with James Dean's help, but the hesitation would not go away. I eventually went back to the stock needle at one clip richer, stock main, 48 pilot, and 1 1/4 turns out. I can't tell any difference in performance and I only change to a 45 pilot when I ride above 5,000'.

My buddy has the same bike as I do and has never had the hesitation with his JD kit. I also liked it on my CRF450. :banghead:

Interesting....

I've still got one hope for the JD stuff, when I installed a Storm fuel screw I never saw the o-ring. I'm assuming it's in there, but it could be cut or crooked or something.

Any ideas why two identical bikes would respond differently to the same jetting?? This is my first 4 stroke so I thought it might be my riding style...

Reg

Any ideas why two identical bikes would respond differently to the same jetting?? This is my first 4 stroke so I thought it might be my riding style...

Reg

I still can't figure it out. It's definitely not your riding style, it's the jetting. Some are convinced that it is just a four stroke thing and it can't be eliminated. My CRF didn't have the bog, so I knew it could be eliminated. Do a search here and on KTM Talk, we are not the only ones with the hesitation.

The 450xc sounds like it would be alot like a yz426 in the woods.... but better????

i had couple 426's , id say the 450 xc is way better, got one of those by the way.

skullhat