Sign in to follow this  

CRF450 springs in a CRF250X

I am considering doing this based on what everyone has reported and what the spring calculators say I need. I am 230 lbs and ride woods and rocks in New England. I am a 46 year old vet rider, fairly agressive. The stock 250X has not treated me all that bad, except the sag is at 6". Sometimes I think the forks are too stiff.

I found a local 450 owner to do a spring swap with, but today I called a local suspension shop in MASS, and he told me I'm nuts, the stock suspension is fine for me. He is 210 and ridden 250X's and the stock springs are fine, just adjust the preload a little more.

The answer is probably somewhere in between. Stock is probably too soft, and the CRF450 springs may be too stiff, especially the forks The only way to find out is to swap them, but if I don't like them after the swap, I'm stuck with too stiff and will have to buy new (did I say that) or find another swap.

Not looking for a lot of down time, what to do?

The fork springs from a 450 will help, but the shock spring is too light. I would reccomend a 5.8kg/mm rear spring, atleast ,maybe even a 6.0. Get an accurate weight with all your riding gear on.

Take Care, John

I am considering doing this based on what everyone has reported and what the spring calculators say I need. I am 230 lbs and ride woods and rocks in New England. I am a 46 year old vet rider, fairly agressive. The stock 250X has not treated me all that bad, except the sag is at 6". Sometimes I think the forks are too stiff.

I found a local 450 owner to do a spring swap with, but today I called a local suspension shop in MASS, and he told me I'm nuts, the stock suspension is fine for me. He is 210 and ridden 250X's and the stock springs are fine, just adjust the preload a little more.

The answer is probably somewhere in between. Stock is probably too soft, and the CRF450 springs may be too stiff, especially the forks The only way to find out is to swap them, but if I don't like them after the swap, I'm stuck with too stiff and will have to buy new (did I say that) or find another swap.

Not looking for a lot of down time, what to do?

The forks may feel a little stiff to you because the back is so soft. If all the weight is on the rear it will be hard to transfer some of it to the frt.

I have many riders at your weight riding the CRF's and you will be happy with some springs a little stiffer. Like John said at least a 6.0 on the back. I just put a 6.2 on a 225 lb. guy on his 450 and the sag came in just about right. Once you get the back right tho you will see that the frt. will be a little soft and something around .50 up frt. will balance the bike out better.

doc

So you guys are saying that the stock 5.5 rear and .47 fronts of a CRF450 are not enough for me? It is a step in the right direction, correct? I really don't want to go crazy stiff, I want plush. I'm not into jumping, just 2nd/3rd gear trails.

I understand what you are saying about why my front feels stiff (balance) - that makes me feel better about increasing the fronts when I increase the rear.

Rather than do a swap with this guy, I found another that would sell me a set for $100 shipped. Maybe I'll go that route?

What if I promise to loose some weght this winter? I am normally 10lbs lighter.....