Sign in to follow this  

DRZ-400E Piston Siezed (scored) What to do? Repair or sleve or 440kit?

Hello,

Have my bike in the shop to get some repairs done.

Found out the Piston is siezed / scored.

I need to repair it.

Not being so mechanically minded, this is what he said are my choices.

1). Bore it and sleeve it. which will make it back to stock I spose.

2). Bore it and not sleeve it (I assume a slightly bigger piston or bigger rings)?

3). Not to sure about this one. But could I go the 440 Kit? Could a Suzuki dealer fit it, and would it be a non-genuine kit?

If I did the 440 kit, would any other parts have to be replaced to support the extra power?

This is a 2003 model, with 9000kms. Might have been my fault for letting the oil run down, which could have overheated it.

Also that day I put on a new tank (28L) instead of the stock, could that have affected it?

What is your opinion? Should I do option 1 or 2, or even option 3 and get more cc's out of her, now that all of this has to be done.

Plz help.

Cheers! :banghead:

Do you have any pics of it? That way we might be able to steer you into either a bore/replate or bore/sleeve/replate. Either will get you more cc's, the bore up to 434 (94mm), bore/sleeve to 439 (94.5) or 450 (95). No iron sleeves/liners, use only aluminum and Millinium Technologies is the place to go for the plating. None are going to be genuine suzuki anyway.

I'd replace the stock valves with a set of one piece stainless steel ones from either kibblewhite or ferrea.

No pics of it :banghead: It is still in the shop, and I wont get it back untill it is fixed.

Just heard back from the shop.

It is actually cheaper to get the 440 kit (cheaper because I dont have to get a new cylinder)

So I am going with the 440kit option. which invloves boreing it out and plating it to suit the bigger piston

do I need to do up any other part of the motor to support the extra power of the piston?

If your piston siezed do to oil starvation, you might want to check other areas in your engine for possible damage. Like the cam caps and cams, lower rod bearing and rod etc. Now ask me how I know this!

Just heard back from the shop.

It is actually cheaper to get the 440 kit (cheaper because I dont have to get a new cylinder)

So I am going with the 440kit option. which invloves boreing it out and plating it to suit the bigger piston

do I need to do up any other part of the motor to support the extra power of the piston?

A 440 kit is actually 439 with a 94.5mm piston and does require a sleeve. A 434 (94mm) does not require a sleeve and is a couple of hundred dollars less because of it.

There is never a need for a new cylinder unless your old one really got screwed up. Here is a pic of mine and it ended up being bored and plated

cylinder-scratch.jpg

gouge2.jpg