Sign in to follow this  

Somebody Help A Noobie!!

Ok, I think I know that I NEED to jet my bike, (CA stock 2004 250x, just mod'd the airbox), BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO IT!!! I ordered the JD jet kit, AM HOPING that the instructions are very clear. Do I need to take the carb off the bike to do it? where are these "jets" at exactly? My only problem is (was) when cold the bike would die when blipping the throttle. If it was thoroughly warmed up, it wouldn't die when whacking the throttle open quickly from a stop. :banghead::banghead:

if your bike is cold it will die if you blip the throttle.as for jetting i think burned will help out way more than i can but if you opened up the airbox then your going to need a bigger main jet and you'll get a new needle jet with the jet kit.the kit should have everything that you'll need including instruction.if you have problems make sure you give the alt and all the jet #'s in your next thread.good luck

Thank you for the quick reply...I'll let you know how it goes...should be interesting. Hope all the work is worth it!

When you mod'd your airbox and you now get more air, the mixture may be more lean (more air mixed w/ fuel than before) When you have more fuel than normal mixed with the air you are rich. When you choke the bike you are allowing more fuel, so it's a bit rich to start. When you're bike gets hot and the air is hot, you will be more lean. The pilot screw which is under the carb can vary this mixture which affects 0-1/4 of the throttle turn. The main and pilot jet (don't confuse with the pilot screw) along with the needle are the regulators for fuel from 1/4 turn to wide open. The jets are located on the bottom of the carb, while the needle is accessed by taking the carb cover off on top. Pull the pipe and subframe along with loosening the 2 carb boot clips to access the carb to do the swap right. You'll need a main jet puller and a small flat head screwdriver. (for the future) Buy a pilot screw from Zip-ty or whoever which will allow you to make adjustments without turning the carb and laying on the ground with a screwdriver. :banghead:

You don't need to remove the carburetor to install the kit. Access the needle thru the small cover on the top of the carburetor.

See- 35200477

The main jet can be accessed by rotating the carburetor and removing the drain plug.

Thanks,

James

Thank you all for the replies, they helped immensely! I installed the JD kit today, along with the boyeson quickshot cover. Opened the airbox up as much as possible, and installed the zip ty. started it up and it sounded pissed off!! Playing with the zip ty now, trying to find the "sweet spot". It still bogged a LITTLE, but not nearly as bad as before. I couldn't ride it, but blipping the throttle the bike sounded like it wanted to sprint! Gonna test ride it tomorrow, will let you know how it goes! Thank you again!

Just got back from riding...let me say it's like having a new bike! Snappy throttle, gobs of power, and the bog is almost non-existant! (did so once when it was cold, and I turned the choke off early to see what would happen.) Just need to fine tune it a little bit, the idle seems a bit high (blip the throttle and it settles back down). Is there a big difference in fuel consumption with the kit? Seems like I burned more gas on the regular ride I do, but maybe that's because I was hammering it!

Just got back from riding...let me say it's like having a new bike! Snappy throttle, gobs of power, and the bog is almost non-existant! (did so once when it was cold, and I turned the choke off early to see what would happen.) Just need to fine tune it a little bit, the idle seems a bit high (blip the throttle and it settles back down). Is there a big difference in fuel consumption with the kit? Seems like I burned more gas on the regular ride I do, but maybe that's because I was hammering it!

ya ,you'll use more fuel that extra power needs more fuel

Another Newbie needs some help! I need to change out my pilot jet on my Keihn carb, '05 YZ250F. Can I access that from the drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl, or do I need to take it all apart to access the pilot jet?

Thanks

Thanks. That is scary because your picture looks almost exactly like my bike, with the zip-ty screw and Devol guards anyway.

I'll give it a shot.