Sign in to follow this  

Changing Header Pipe: Can a moron do it?

Hi All,

I've purchased a new header pipe for my 'E' model. I'm not great mechanically and I'm assuming I can just unbolt the old one and bolt this one on. Are there any gotcha's with changing it? Anything to look out for? Are there gaskets or O rings I should be looking for?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks Guys,

mal

I did it. There, that pretty well sums up your question in full. :banghead:

hey.......wait.......

There is a gasket that will most likely stay in the head, I usually replace it if I remove the pipe for any reason (unless I just installed it). I also use a bit of anti sieze on the bolt/nut.

There is a gasket that will most likely stay in the head, I usually replace it if I remove the pipe for any reason (unless I just installed it). I also use a bit of anti sieze on the bolt/nut.

Thanks 10Guy - that's just the sort of thing I need to know. The bike's only a few months old and has done less than 1000km. Do I need to replace that gasket or do you think it'll be OK?

Mal

If there is any doubt replace it. We just proved to ourselves this summer what kind of grief even small exhaust leaks can cause. You don't want to go there.

Thanks 10Guy - that's just the sort of thing I need to know. The bike's only a few months old and has done less than 1000km. Do I need to replace that gasket or do you think it'll be OK?

Mal

Most likely you are going to be fine with the old gasket, look in there and see. Of course if you see anything that looks questionable then replace it.

Changing Header Pipe: Can a moron do it?

NO !!!!

A Moron can not do anything...... It will get hurt! :banghead:

I changed the header pipe on my S. There was no gasket. However, one of the bolts was actually a stud in the head. I was concerned whether the stud would easily come out to replace with the bolt provided by the header manufacturer. The stud was too short. To my surprise, it came right out with vice grips. But, if it gets stuck, you could be screwed. But, if your bike is new, it should come out no problem.

I changed the header pipe on my S. There was no gasket. However, one of the bolts was actually a stud in the head. I was concerned whether the stud would easily come out to replace with the bolt provided by the header manufacturer. The stud was too short. To my surprise, it came right out with vice grips. But, if it gets stuck, you could be screwed. But, if your bike is new, it should come out no problem.

It's in there, you just didn't recognize it. If it is not in there then you would have one heck of an exhaust leak.

Thanks All,

I'm just running out to get a gasket now and should have it done in the next few hours. Thanks for all the help!

mal

my cuz did it on his so it couldnt take any brain power at all.

Your name is yamaha, avatar is honda and you are replying on a suzuki/kawasaki forum :banghead:

Buy a new gasket but chances are the old one will be fine. I've had my header off/on more than a few times without any leak problems. I always fit the header semi loose, then slip on and hang the pipe, tighten the header then the pipe trying to make sure there is not any excessive torque on either the pipe or header. sometimes it doesn't hurt to use an extra washer here or there to keep things perfectly lined up on even factory systems(mines FMF BTW).

Well, it's done - looks great and I'm sure I'm getting a better note out of the engine too. Performance wise, it seems similar though it appears to be revving out a bit easier. One final question - I couldn't get a replacement gasket so I ended up using the old one. Some of these comments have made me nervous - is there a simple way of checking whether there's any leakage? Would I notice if there was?

Thanks again everyone!

mal

If there is enough leakage to create problems you would hear it. If you are worried about it light a match and blow it out and while it is still smoking put it up by your head pipe with the bike running. The smoke will tell you if there is a leak.

If there is enough leakage to create problems you would hear it. If you are worried about it light a match and blow it out and while it is still smoking put it up by your head pipe with the bike running. The smoke will tell you if there is a leak.

Thanks 10Guy - there's certainly no sound coming out of it so I'm sure it's fine. Again, thanks for all your help.

mal