Sign in to follow this  

market for CR/XR frame cradle and motor mounts

Just wondering what the need would be for prefabbed engine cradle and motor mounts for the conversion. I have a guy that whants me to build just the cradle and motor mounts. I would go out and buy a tubing bender if enough people wanted this. The 2 lower tubes would be prewelded to the square down tube so that all one would have to do is cut the cr frame out at a certain point and weld this cradle in. Let me know what you think,

Jeff

Cool.

But then what about the other 95% of the things needed to complete a conversion?

Beings I'm a welder without a tubing bender this type setup might work well. I see one of your kid's bike is a XR145 in a CR frame. Is this the kitaco SE 145 kit? If it is, how has the reliability been?. Thanks

Cool.

But then what about the other 95% of the things needed to complete a conversion?

Just trying to get a feel for whats needed. Most people like to do the welding but dont have access to a bender and some of the higher dollar tools. You sound like someone who would rather buy a complete bike already done up. Nothing wrong with that either.

There's just a lot more to it than the cradle section. There's a manifold and airbox issue, a right down tube issue, carb to air boot issue, pipe, motorbox, and center support. Even if you get a pre-made cradle, there's still a lot of hours of work to go. I know Dave Miller has a jig for everything and it's still about 25-30 hours or more.

There's just a lot more to it than the cradle section. There's a manifold and airbox issue, a right down tube issue, carb to air boot issue, pipe, motorbox, and center support. Even if you get a pre-made cradle, there's still a lot of hours of work to go. I know Dave Miller has a jig for everything and it's still about 25-30 hours or more.

Socal,

what do you have to do with the right down tube or are you talking about the metric sqare tube in the front? Thats alot of hours. I can see why he charges what he does.

I was just passing along some info to let would be converters know that there are many, many things to do besides welding motor mounts in.

It usually isn't until someone gets about a quarter of the way through one of these conversions that they come to the conclusion that there are way more modifications needed to complete it than originally realized.

Ask anyone who has actually completed one of these conversions, from beginning to having a finished, riding bike.

I'm sure, with all of the hours, labor and money they spent, they can understand why someone would charge $2,000 for a kit that is complete and ready to bolt together and ride (that will actually work properly).

The kits that cost more $$ usually look like a factory made bike (or better), unlike some of the hokey conversion I have seen on the internet that look like some hillbilly built it, complete with airbox adapters made from PVC pipe fittings that run outside the right side frame tube.

Don't take this as any type of criticism on what you wish to build.

I'm sure prefabed cradles would sell.

Socal,

what do you have to do with the right down tube or are you talking about the metric sqare tube in the front? Thats alot of hours. I can see why he charges what he does.

Some people mount the carb to left, others to the right. If you go to the right you can either use a heater hose or something to go around the down tube, which looks bad and hangs up on your kneepads or you can fab a new down tube and mount the carb directly to the airboot.

Here's a pic of what I mean:

Dsc00050.jpg

Some people mount the carb to left, others to the right. If you go to the right you can either use a heater hose or something to go around the down tube, which looks bad and hangs up on your kneepads or you can fab a new down tube and mount the carb directly to the airboot.

If you are using a sock style or k&n filter and NOT an airbox for instance for a flat track bike is this an issue ?

Here's a pic of what I mean:

Dsc00050.jpg

Looks like when you modify the right down tube it would be easier to make a straighter intake manifold. I made mine go to the left side which causes a pretty good bend in the intake. With the relocated down tube could a person use the stock XR100 manifold?

Yeah, the whole reason to doi it is to get the straightest possible angle for the mainifold. For this mod, you can't use the stock manifold, it has too much angle.

Beings I'm a welder without a tubing bender this type setup might work well. I see one of your kid's bike is a XR145 in a CR frame. Is this the kitaco SE 145 kit? If it is, how has the reliability been?. Thanks

It is the Kitaco SE 145 kit. The only problem I had was due to the increased compression the kickstart idler gear sheared a few teeth. This happened shortly after I istalled the kit. Replaced it and have not had a problem since. Could have just been a bad gear. It just sucks to have to split the case to get to it. :banghead:

It usually isn't until someone gets about a quarter of the way through one of these conversions that they come to the conclusion that there are way more modifications needed to complete it than originally realized.

🤣🤣

This is TRUE.

:banghead::banghead: