Sign in to follow this  

cornering

hey this is Motoman93r,

and i have a question that is buggin me :banghead: ive been riding for a long time and racing here and there, but just started really getting into racing about january. how do i get faster in the corner, cuz thats where im loosing it. I loose everybody when we come out of the corner. Im not sure if its because im loosing momentum and coming out of the corner to slow. If this helps im on a crf250 04

When practicing, on just a regular practice day, try (going at a slower pace) cornering without using your brakes. Pick a corner and just do it over and over. Then later in the day bring braking into the equation. The last time I did this, I started coming thru the corner a gear higher, carrying more momentum.

This technique helps immensely on hard baked tracks.........as it will boost your confidence. On a well groomed track, it will make you just plain old more aggressive.

actually that worked for me too.. i would just cruise around the track, never hitting the breaks for 20 mins or so take a 5 min break then go out as hard as i could i noticed i was carrying alot more speed thru the corners..

Berkeman, I was just about to post that thread!

It really helped out a lot to lean over the bike and sit on top of it. It worked on that bald 756, I'm sure I'll be able to rip on my bike with a new MS2. It was really hard to just get the front gripping. Before I was leaning with the bike. I was practally sitting on the gas tank and it would still wash out. Then I started to sit up and lean the bike over. I was able to get on that inside line and stay on the inside line. I was able to take the tighter turns instead of resorting to the outside line.

Try it. Stand up into those corners and carry your momentum. Best way to learn is like I said, stand up the whole track 5 laps. Whether you like it or not, do not sit down. Then come back, get a drink or whatever, and go out standing up into the turns, leaning the bike over and sitting up. You'll be amazed!

-Phill

You guys are so right. When I was first learning I would fall over constantly but when you learn how to really not be stiff on the bike and throw it from side to side that's when turning get's easier. As soon as I started sitting on the corner of the seat that's when I started to pull some nice sharp turns.

I still find myself looking at pics in magazines and using my finger as a straight edge make the riders center line and then the bikes centerline to show just how leaned the bike is compared to the rider. Flip open a mag and grab a straight edge. You will see it 95% of the time unless someone is dragging their bars to sell some gear. :banghead: