Sign in to follow this  

Which bike is best for trail riding?

Hello All,

I am relatively new to the TT Forum but I need some help. I bought a '96 CR 125 last yr to kinda test the waters and see if I like off Road riding after 13 yrs of street riding. I came to the conclusion that I do but discovered that the CR is not best suited for the types of riding I have been or will be doing.

So I need some advice.... What is a good bike to get for Back Woods, Power Line and SingleTrack Trail riding? What are the pros/cons of 4stroke VS 2Stroke?

Also what are the pros/cons of Elec Start? I have a 28-29" inseam so it is sometimes awkward to kick start my bike so I am considering looking for something with an Elec Start.

Thanks for all your help,

Steve

welcome to TT steve

2 strokes are good, but not suited to hillclimbs as well as the 4 strokes, 2 strokes u have to be on the power to get any where, 4 strokes u can put along at any revs, dump it and be on the back wheel in no time

2 strokes = no elec start

4 strokes = elec start:)

there is a few issues with the elec start with the yammy's and KTM, but as far as i know these problems have been fixed,they were stripping start gears, the ktm's were kicking back on stopping the engine and in turn ripping teeth from the start gear.

just about all four strokes in aus can be registered, 2 strokes only a few!

2 stroke u goto mix oil and with the price of fuel it adds up with oil aswell and they chew more fuel, four stroke u just ride up to the pump and fill up, in my opinion four strokes are easier to ride, and get the power to the ground alot more than a 2 stroke

4 strokes have even power 2 strokes are a switch, on or off! unlees you get a 500...2 strokes are a dieing breed , 4 strokes are really peeking right now and matching the 2's for power and handling, although some might dissagree.

if you havn't riden a new four stroke bike i would recomend you do so, youl love it!

as for what one to get well thats your decision, but im bias for KTM:)

You need to check out the KLX300. Excellent trail bike for what you stated you needed and excellent for inseam challenged riders! :banghead:

Agree with the KLX 300 as a good choise, but they can be hard to start without the aftermarket comp release. Any 250f motocrosser, or trail modified MX'er ( WR, CFx, etc.) you'll love. Consider seat hight when selecting you mount, as all are quality chooses.

wr,crfx,klx300 yz250f is a mx nike but you could make it specifically for trails if you wanted

I also am vertically challenged -- 5-8" with 29" inseam. I started earlier this year on a TTR250 -- great bike to tool around on in the woods and trails but it is heavy and it gets tiring picking it up. Also, very easy to shave the seat down and virtually maintenance free (air cooled too). I do all woods riding. I wanted something I could also ride in turkey runs and enduros, where you generally need a street registered bike, so I got a KTM 400 EXC (elec start and kick). KTMs are easy to street register b/c the certificate of origin is clean (no "off-road use only" crap). It is possible to register bikes that have restrictions on their COs but it's more work. Also, I bought the OEM low seat and my toes can touch the ground, so I do not need to do any other mods like messing with the suspension or the subframe. The WR250/450 and CRF250/450 are tall bikes and I do not if there are comparable low seat options. Finally, consider what OEM and aftermarket parts are available. For the TTR250, there is hardly anything. For the race bikes like KTM and the CRF/WRs there is a ton, which makes it easy to do mods and fix stuff when you break it.

I love my XR400, I started riding 3 years ago and have ridden the heck out of it. I am 6' 220. XR250 is great, KLX400, DRZ400, any KTM EXC. I believe that the KTM's are worth a hard look. But the XR is so reliable and simple to work on and they are pretty cheap used. In my neck of the woods I have seen 2 barely used KDX200s for around $2500. One was a left over 04 and one was an 05, 2 guys bought them and never rode them. Also the WR450 and 250 and the CRF450X and 250X are great bikes.

If I was gonna get a new bike today it would probably be a KTM300EXC

Look for a KTM 200 EXC or a KDX 200/220. You should be able to get either of them at a reasonable price and they'll keep you entertained for a long while. The KTM is better for more aggressive riding.

The KLX300 is a nice bike as well and for someone shorter. I think after a 125cc 2-stroke that an XR250 will bore you to death.

I would definitely agree on the KDX200 or XR 250 for your next bike. And if you needed, you can shorten the suspension without messing it up.