Sign in to follow this  

how much fork oil do I need?

I have a 2000,s. I will be changing my fork oil out for some Mobil 1 ATF this weekend. I want a stiffer front end. I have read many different threads on amounts but not for my weight. I am 145 without gear, 6 feet, (trail, road, and track...I know its a tall order for the bike) any recommondations of how much of a gap to leave at the top (between the fluid and the top of the fork), in inches. :banghead::banghead: Thank you for your time.....steve

My manual says 24oz per fork leg. Thats for a 2004 S.

I've resprung mine and used 5w Bel Ray as specified when replacing it. It's plenty stiff and I weigh 270ish.

Hope that helps....

My 2 pennies worth:

I have an '01 S (yes, with the lame-o forks) and weigh 165 lbs, before gear. I recently changed the fork oil, raising the height from the stock 165 mm height to 110 mm...it was noticeably stiffer, but also noticeably more harsh and felt very imbalanced with the rear shock. SO...I went to a heavier weight oil and lowered the height back to 165 mm, and life is good. More controlled rebound, without harshness.

Your mileage may vary.

After trying different oil viscosity and oil height combinations. I settled on ATF for fork oil and I set the air chamber height at 5.5 inches. Works really well for everything except super cross style jumps. I'm 200 pounds 53 years old and a X Motocross expert class rider. I have a 2000 drz475 S model ( which is pre cartridge fork ) 2002 to present uses cartridge forks which has a different fork oil and air chamber height spec.