Sign in to follow this  

Piute Mountains Saturday, Oct 15

Rescheduled Piute Mtn ride. Meet at Kelso Vly and Piute Mtn Rd at 9:00, leave at 9:30 or so.

Ill be leaving straight from work and arriving about 2:30am Sat morning and sleeping in the truck... If anybody wants to do a midnight (I work swing shift) carpool from Orange County/LA let me know.

We can use this trip to make some notes for the effort to save some trails out there.

Will we be hitting some of the single track up there if so my friend Phil and I are in both on plated XR400's....PB

I'll be there. Do you have a map to where you are meeting? Never been in that way. Only up via jawbone.

Jawbone Canyon Rd basically turns into Kelso Valley rd. Piute Mtn Rd takes off to the left after you drop down into a canyon. Ill get a map together and post it.

Hopefully it stays cool next weekend...

I will be at my friends cabin near saddle springs campground that weekend. Leaving Friday AM and home Sunday. We get there from Bodfish up Saddle Springs road. He has a plated XR600 and I have a 04 CRF450 with everything but a plate. here's a link to a map. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=3932234.00008391&e=370529.999998179&u=0. Can you ride up there with a red sticker? Maybe we can track you guys down and tag along on a ride.

I will be at my friends cabin near saddle springs campground that weekend. Leaving Friday AM and home Sunday. We get there from Bodfish up Saddle Springs road. He has a plated XR600 and I have a 04 CRF450 with everything but a plate. here's a link to a map. http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?z=11&n=3932234.00008391&e=370529.999998179&u=0. Can you ride up there with a red sticker? Maybe we can track you guys down and tag along on a ride.
Nice site thanks!! :banghead::banghead:

how far is this off of hwy 14? Will I need to be dual sported to do this ride?

Jimbo

Riding sunday? if so do you guys know wolfstaff trail? I want to do that one.

how far is this off of hwy 14? Will I need to be dual sported to do this ride?

Jimbo

That's a negative, I've believe it's offroad good to go! I can do 70+ miles before needing more fuel(possible to carry extra).

OK... I just need to know how to get to the launch point. I'll call myself 90% in at this point.

Jimbo

OK... I just need to know how to get to the launch point. I'll call myself 90% in at this point.

Jimbo

If you stage at Hwy 14, a roundtrip jaunt to the START of the Piutes will be between 50-70 miles. That's to the bottom of the Piutes. The closest place on the 14 to stage is Dove Springs. Next closest Jawbone. Best bet? Drive to the base of the Piutes and stage from there. Intersection of Kelso Valley Road and Piute Mountain road. Better yet, stage at the top of the mountain.

Plan on 45-60 min. by truck from Jawbone to the above mentioned intersection. Maybe 30 minutes more to the top of the mountain. (45 is hair raising..... 🤣 )

It's easy to run out of fuel up there. I would recommend a dual sport and 100+ mile range to really do the ride justice. Or, make sure you start your ride at the top of the mountain - then 60-70 mile range will be OK. If you start at Dove or Jawbone, you'd better carry at least a gallon extra. This is the voice of experience speaking........ :banghead:🤣:banghead: (Out of gas right at dark and still 45 miles from the truck...... 🤣 )

It should be perfect. I'll see you there.

This time of year it would seem more likely to turn cold (at least up near the top of the mountain) than too hot. Can't wait.

Bad News! I had something come up to screw up this weekend for me!

We are taking a family trip to Jawbone the following weekend and a ride into the mountains the morning of the 22nd. Myself and my nephew Allan are going to be there and possibly one of his friends that has been up there before. I know there is the Poker Run in Cal City(?) that weekend but I am stuck... Hopefully at least a few others can go.

Still want to stage at Kelso and Piute Mtn Rd. at 9:00am on the 22nd.

Yes, I must be the flakiest ride organizer on the planet! But the 22nd is firm and nothing to interfere. :banghead:

That's cool by me. I do have other plans that weekend but I'd rather go somewhere I've never been before. I'll see if I can change things around w/o hurting any :banghead: feelings. Hate missing the Dago run though. :banghead:

Geez, another reschedule. We'll be up there this weekend anyways. If anyone is going up this weekend, let me know. I never met a real live TT'er before. Y'all can stop by the cabin if your in the area and look us up and see how nice camping can be with electricity, hot water, stove, BBQ etc.

Geez, another reschedule. We'll be up there this weekend anyways. If anyone is going up this weekend, let me know. I never met a real live TT'er before. Y'all can stop by the cabin if your in the area and look us up and see how nice camping can be with electricity, hot water, stove, BBQ etc.

Sorry! Thats not camping. :banghead:

Dang dude is there room in the garage for my bike??

Dang dude is there room in the garage for my bike??

No garage, but there is a dirt floor room under the house. You could stick 4 or 5 bikes in there if you had to along with the water heater and solar batteries. :banghead:

Guess what! This is so lame! I got wires crossed with the mrs and next weekend was bad, not this weekend. I jumped the gun after talking to her on the phone earlier today cause I was pissed...I thought (assumed) she was trying to kill the trip this weekend, when in fact she was wanting to go!

THIS WEEKEND (yes, the 15th) I WILL BE THERE WITH MY NEPHEW.

The post title is correct after all, Sat the 15th. 9:30 departure from Kelso and Piute mtn road.

Where is your cabin at? You must know the trails pretty good I would imagine. If we can get a map to your place or a time/landmark we can meet up for sure.

Again, SORRY about the confusion! I seem to be getting easier to confuse with age...

Phew!! For a minute I thought I was going to have to take a stab at organizing a ride. Then we'd really see how messed up organization could get. :banghead:

This weekend is best for me. I could make it next Sat. but I'd have to skip on other plans.

As soon as I tighten the nut that holds the bars I'll be ready. See you on the 15th. :banghead: