Sign in to follow this  

California to Texas, off road?

Hey folks!

This is my first post in the Dual Sport forum. It's a pleasure to meet ya'all. In a virtual sense, of course.

The question rolling around in my caffeine addled head is this:

Every year for the past 5 years I head to Austin, TX for a week. I go to help the Lance Armstrong Foundation run their big fundraiser, The Ride for the Roses. This year is no different...fly in on Sunday, run around like a mad man all week, fly home the following Monday. As fun as it is being on the ground level of a huge event like the Ride for the Roses, it's getting a little stale.

So here is my thought...for the 2006 edition I want to ride a motorcycle from where I live (NorCal, SF Bay Area) to Austin, TX and back. Offroad. It would be a fundraiser for the LAF...people could donate a flat amount of a $/mile, perhaps.

The big question is...is it possible? I swear I read somewhere about a gentlemen who did an offroad ride from Florida to Southern California. If so, the last half of his route may suffice.

Any help or thoughts about the route would be greatly appreaciated. :banghead:

Thanks! :banghead:

I can help you plan a route through NM or answer questions about NM.

When is this? You'll have to deal with snow in the winter.

I can help you plan a route through NM or answer questions about NM.

When is this? You'll have to deal with snow in the winter.

Awesome! That would be great. From the looks of it, any prospective route would cut through the southern tip of NM (after AZ on the way to TX). That's just guessing, based on what the route would be if one used the interstate.

It's one thing to drive to an OHV, unpack and ride around. It's something else altogether to try to figure out how to get from one end of a state to another. That's where my mental road block is.

The Ride for the Roses is in October. Which, hopefully, means fairly OK weather all the way along.

Wow to the transamerica trail. What an experience that would be.

Is some asphalt ok? You will have a hard time going east to west in NM doing all dirt. Too many private ranches and indian/military reservations.

XFool:

I looked at the TransAmerica Trail right away. My first reaction is the same as yours...

"Damn! That looks bitchin'!" :banghead:

The TAT starts north of me and generally runs north of my target. I could shoot across California and Nevada to meet up with it, maybe. But then I'd have to run a pretty far piece straight south out of Oklahoma or New Mexico through Texas.

OldThumperLover:

Some pavement is fine. It's pretty much unavoidable, for the most part. I'd just want to keep it to as small a portion as possible. :banghead:

Is it possible to ride on BLM/Reservation land with a proper permit, or no?

XFool:

OldThumperLover:

Some pavement is fine. It's pretty much unavoidable, for the most part. I'd just want to keep it to as small a portion as possible. :banghead:

Is it possible to ride on BLM/Reservation land with a proper permit, or no?

No permit required for BLM around here as far as I know. When they don't want you there, they lock their gates. Don't know about Indian Res.

You can go from the AZ border to I25 on dirt, and it is some of the best country in the state. Then you need to make decisions. I'll yank some maps this weekend.

Permits aren't required on any Public lands unless it's an "organized" ride

If they are open public roads and or trails you can ride them when ever you like

You can use Topofusion to conect other dirt roads/trails/hwys to those maps

I'd like to know where that turn in Nevada is,,,,

Can't be that far from Vegas :banghead:

I could help you plan from El Paso to Austin. It would most likely be 50/50. My first concern would be fuel stops.

What kind of bike? What kind of range do expect to get on a tank?

Hey all!

Great info all around. I'm downloading the Topofusion demo to check it out. Thanks for helping the newbie!

fastmonstr: It's a street titled KLX300 with all the required mods to make it a decent motorcycle. They're in need of a little help straight from the factory. :banghead:

It will have a 3.7 gallon acerbis tank and possibly auxillary tank on the rear fender. I am still exploring the rear fender auxillary...acerbis makes one but it's pretty big @ 6 liters (1.5 gallons).

I literally just bought it, so the mileage is an unknown for me. It's going to either the Reno area or SoCal in early Nov for some test runs. I should know a little better than.