Sign in to follow this  

12 tooth front sprocket

It binds up the chain and causes premature wear. If you like shifting a lot more. It's like adding 4 teeth to the back. Overkill in most cases.

It binds up the chain and causes premature wear. If you like shifting a lot more. It's like adding 4 teeth to the back. Overkill in most cases.

It does not causes premature wear IMO, do you have any proof gmoss? If not don't spread rumors that may not be true IMO. :banghead:

I've been running the 12T CS for 3 years (so have many others on here), over 1000 miles on the stock o-ring chain, no problem on wear with the chain or guide other than some minimal normal stuff - you're talking about 1/2 a tooth difference since it's only pulling from the top half of the CS and when you put your weight on the bike, there is NO binding on the swingarm chain guard, confirm it yourself.

It's personal preference about the shifting, but for the WR's gearbox it does well in the tight woods and helps with the low end with quicker snaps to get over logs etc. For a YZF, since it's a tighter gearbox, the 12T CS may not be ideal since you'll lose a bit of top end and will have to shift faster than a WR in 4th & 5th. It's a cheap mod, about $7-$10 for a steel 12T CS, give it a go and see if it works for you. I like it for my WR, not so sure if I will use it for my upcoming YZF though, the gearbox is probably too short - I got the 50T rear spocket to try for the woods stuff instead.

Yes I have seen it. That is why I posted what I did. Good for you that you have not had problems. There are some that do and it is something to be considered. There is nothing that needs 'proving'. Once trying one, most people I know end up taking them back off because they make the bike too jerky. With a few mods, these bikes are plenty potent for any type of riding with stock gearing, at least the WR. I just sold a 53 tooth rear (1 tooth more than stock) because it revved too quick and I really do not need it. These bikes have a broad powerband, why would a person want to push the gearing so close together? :banghead:

I've been running 12t CS sprockets for years on my XR200's and XR250 with no adverse effects. I'd get about 2 years out of a sprocket and chain setup riding multiple days per week. I'd get the same life running o-ring chains so I had quit using them due to the added cost, added weight, and arguably the added drag.

Since going to the 280 kit in my XR250 I wasted a new R1 chain, PBI racing CS sprocket and a SunStar 50t rear in about 6 months. I've switched to 13/52 gearing and am going to see if wear life is better.

I think a 12t CS sprocket is ok to a certain power level and riding style but I don't think they hold up after a certain abuse level. I'll know for sure in about 6 months.

Yes I have seen it. That is why I posted what I did. Good for you that you have not had problems. There are some that do and it is something to be considered. There is nothing that needs 'proving'. Once trying one, most people I know end up taking them back off because they make the bike too jerky. With a few mods, these bikes are plenty potent for any type of riding with stock gearing, at least the WR. I just sold a 53 tooth rear (1 tooth more than stock) because it revved too quick and I really do not need it. These bikes have a broad powerband, why would a person want to push the gearing so close together? :banghead:

A person would want to push the gearing together because the stock gearing and wide ratio gearbox is horrible. Sure its smooth but its slow. On tight trails the gap between gears is so tall that the motor will not spool up quick enough. road riding it may be alright.

I think the bottom line is a smaller CS (1 tooth) is not a major change. It really depends on how and where you ride your bike. If you abuse it or ride in deep mud & water all the time, the sprockets and chains are going to wear faster no matter what sizes you use. If you keep your equipment in good condition and you don't play in the mud, sand and water too much, your equipment will last longer.

My point is, we can't generalize and say YES a 12T CS will mess things up with the guide, the chain, the gearbox, etc. because this is just NOT TRUE. I've seen too many people think this way yet they don't ride their bikes with a smaller CS for any real length of time to conclude that the wear is really different. There are too many variables to blame wear on a CS, a chain, a guide or a rear sprocket. You can put a fresh chain and sprockets on a 250 and it won't wear as fast as on a big bore 525 or 450 because the big boys just have more torque to go through the equipment faster (tires too), this is one example that you can't dispute due to differing factors (engine sizes) - same equipment, different wear pattern.

I think people should try different size CS and find out for themselves and not worry about wear patterns because I don't think it really makes that big a difference in the wear - especially if you're only going 1 tooth smaller for the CS. And NO, your transmission ain't gonna care what CS you're using so don't think that a 1 tooth smaller CS will mess up your gearbox - you can do a lot more stress on the gearbox just by roosting, goosing it after landing, running a tight chain etc. than changing to a smaller CS.

As for using a smaller CS, it's all about preference. If you want more snap and quicker revs, use it. If you like stock gearing, keep it that way, it's about who's riding the bike and what they are comfortable with as far as gear ratios are concerned. I happen to like the 12T CS on my WR because it shortens the gear ratio just enough for me not to be in between gears for MY riding style in the woods... :banghead:

I ran a 12T for a while. I ended up taking it off, because I didn't like it. I felt like the gearing was TOO low. It's an easy change over if you've got some real tight stuff, but the low 1st gear ratio on my WR is low enough for me.

I ran a 12T sprocket on my WR for over 2 years, never had any problems with "bind". You probably had a junk chain. I did however notice accelerated front swingarm chain buffer wear resulting from the smaller diameter sprocket. Keep an eye on the chain buffer as if you let it wear out the chain will start to saw right into your swingarm.