Sign in to follow this  

Engine overheating

Hello, on my last ride we rode for about 4 hours and I noticed every time we stopped my bike smelled funny, like it was overheating. It rode fine and i wasnt too worried about it but today I took it out of the garage and washed it then started it up for afew minutes and after it warmed up it started steaming off the radiator quite a bit and smelled the same way as before, almost like a burning antifreeze smell.Can anyone help me out here, I'm not sure where to start to fix this problem.

Your avatar may have something to do with your lack of responses :banghead: but seriously, the first thing I would check, and the simplest, is the radiator cap screwed on tight? When you say it's steaming, where exactly is the steam comming from? Do you actually see it leaking? Your radiators may steam after washing due to water being left over on the outside from washing. What is the level of coolant in the radiator? Is it at the proper level? If the level is the same before and after riding, you likely are not leaking. However, if you overfill the coolant to begin with, it may boil over and leak out of the vent line (clear hose comming off the right radiator near the cap). Quite often people will notice the boil over on their glide plate or skid plate, since this is where the vent line terminates. Makes everything smell bad. But this is nothing to worry about, only due to over filling the coolant. Now if the level of coolant is less and you don't notice boil over from the vent line or see the leak or the steam comming from somewhere then you have no option other than performing a pressure test on the system. If it fails the pressure testing, then a leak is the culprit. However, you still will need to find the leak. If there is a hole in one of the radiators, send it here for affordable repair: http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/ :banghead:

Good luck,