Sign in to follow this  

Riding jacket suggestions?

I was looking into getting a jacket for the upcoming crappy winter weather. What experience has anyone had with jackets and if they are worth it or not. I was looking into the Thor Phase and Ride 2 or the new Fox 360. The prices start at around $100.00 and go to around $150.00. So I want to get it right the first time. The Thor Phase and the Fox 360 have the zip off sleeves and the Thor Ride 2 is water proof but the sleeves are not removeable. All 3 have tons of storage pockets for extra gear. :banghead:

Got me. Down here in Alabama, my jacket is wearing an undershirt and wearing a jersey with sleeves. :banghead::banghead:

i use a hoody with a zipper but im in texas and its not that cold

the fox looks cool as hell

but it get pretty cold on penn so get a warm one

sorry not much help from us sutheners

I have the MSR ISDE Pak Jak jacket and pants. I like them a lot. It's made out of a Gore-Tex type material so it's waterproof and breathable. Plus the jacket has a nice big vent in the back for warmer wet days.

I live near Seattle so staying dry is pretty tough...but the MSR ISDE gear does a pretty good job of it.

You can wear the pants either inside your boot or outside. I'm a pretty big guy so outside the boots works good for me. The pants aren't baggy so the pant legs don't get caught on stuff like sticks and footpegs.

Ya, the weather is taking a turn for the bad up here, the rain sucks too. Thats why I need something to stop water and the cold. But we have those days that start cold and heat up in a few hours to where the jacket might be too much.

I have the MSR ISDE Pak Jak jacket and pants. I like them a lot. It's made out of a Gore-Tex type material so it's waterproof and breathable. Plus the jacket has a nice big vent in the back for warmer wet days.

I live near Seattle so staying dry is pretty tough...but the MSR ISDE gear does a pretty good job of it.

You can wear the pants either inside your boot or outside. I'm a pretty big guy so outside the boots works good for me. The pants aren't baggy so the pant legs don't get caught on stuff like sticks and footpegs.

MXJunky has the same Jacket and pants, and the same shitty rain constantly. The MSR jacket is worth a looksee.

:banghead:

And the sleeves are removable.

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a jacket as well. I've got a DRZ400S Dual Sport and I want something that works for street and dirt, hot or cold. I want it to have armored sleeves, shoulders and back but to have substantial mesh in the design for those warm SoCal days. In short, I want an all in one jacket. I don't want to haul mutiple jackets on my dual sport rides.

I've found two so far - the Joe Rocket Alter Ego (saw one yesterday, seemed a little bulky, plus the waterproof zip out liner was on the inside, under the armored mesh exterior) and I read about a 2:1 jacket by Tecknic called the Spider that has real possibilities.

If anyone can recommend a good all in one or 2:1 jacket please let me know.

Regards,

Jim in Santa Barbara

I have the moose expedition jacket which works awesome, it is waterproof, breathable, arms zip off, and folds into its own fanny pack. I also have a pak jak but found its only good when it is heavy raining or snowing, otherwise it doesn't breath enough for me!

Depends on the conditions...In heavy rain the Thor and Fox both suck. I have an older Moose that is great in Super cold, but the rain soaks thru (still keeps the heat in though). I had an even older MSR ISDE gore-tex that was great, but follow washing instructions or the gore-tex breaks down and leaks. Use a product like tech wash to help the gore-tex...... not regular laundry detergent.

If you have a bunch of rain......fork out the extra $$$$ for the gore-tex. You don't want to come back from a ride looking like a 85 year old prune.

links??? are these both for rain and cold? or just rain?

i just run a windbreaker from alpinestar, it has flannel inside for added warmth. i also have a stiffie windbreaker that works well those are like 30 to 40 bucks. there light and can be stuffed into my camel back when it gets warm. i dont ride in alot of rain so the windbreaker does great for me. it is what most of my friends use also.

Depends on the conditions...In heavy rain the Thor and Fox both suck.QUOTE]

You said the Thor and the Fox both suck, have you owned them or rode with someone who has them?

I need a jacket that is both warm and that will keep light rain out. I tend not to ride in the rain but if it starts while I am riding I will stay out as long as I can.

I have a no fear cargo jacket with removable sleeves and four pockets on the front and is good in light rain.

Check out the ISDE Jacket by Rooster Performance (www.roosterperformance.com)

I have two, and love em. I wear it in the dirt and on the street.

Wow, that thing is not cheap. Nice jacket but maybe a little more than what I want or need.

the Moose XCR from last year was made with the eVent material that is light, soft, waterproof and even snowproof. I wore mine in the snow with only a tee shirt under and was fine. It is deffinitly better than the Fox 360 or the Thor, I own the fox and it is nice but it is the thick cordura style nylon, which is thich and harder. The Moose is much more comfortable. However they changed the material for this year, it is still better than the Fox or thor but not as good as the old one. The Moose Monarch pass is still the eVent material but it is 299. Also the XCR from Moose does have removable sleves and it folds into itself in a pocket on the back and then becomes a fanny pack!!!