Sign in to follow this  

Wrist Braces ?? What do you wear and why? And

Wanna get a feel for what type of wrist braces are out there and who wears them and why. I am just recovering from a broken arm ( wrist ) I had the bone come out the skin and wanna get back into riding sometime with in the next yr or so after my 8 months to a yr of recovery. So any and all feed back will be awsome. Drmark you seen the xrays and know my sutition best, I get the cast off and the pins out come this Thursday the 13th, In 8 months to a yr from now what do you suggest I have and wear while riding and not riding ? Roost ya later, Mike

A patient and fellow rider posted on KTMtalk.com that his insurer okayed CTI wrist braces. While it is no secret that I hate knee braces, I will wear wrist braces after the CTI guy calls me. Perhaps you can see if they are available in your area.

My wrist has been hurting ever since I saw those pins in there. I am glad they are finally comiing out.

Here is the link

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=121947

I broke mine and had five screws and a plate put in. The hardware was never removed. My first fear was golfing. Hitting the ball fat and jarring the wrist. I wore one of those carpel tunnel looking braces you can get at any Wallmart the one with the metal down the middle. I also wore it riding for awhile but soon after I just wore a neoprene wrap just for some support. I guess I feel like I'll break my arm if I have a brace on my wrist just like I'll probably break my Femur because of the knee braces.. My two worthless cents. By the way, My golf got better because I slowed down.

8 months to a year sounds pretty long. At least its winter soon. Good Luck!!

Glenn B., the best way to avoid further fractures in your wrist is to have the plate removed, then lay off for three months while the screw holes fill in. The mechanical effect of the plate, concentrating bending forces at the upper end of the plate is identical in character to the force concentration from wearing a brace, however because the plate is adjaent to the bone, rather than adjacent to the meat, is effect is greatly magnified.

Good luck

What I am most scared of is the bone comeing back out through the skin in any simple lay over in a berm or over jumping a double or coming up short on anything. That is why I am wondering why which brace might work best for me. I am very sure I'll be able to ride again, I just dont want that bone poping its way BACK through the skin so easly. LOL. That is my only fear. But it is winter and I do have many months of recovery ahead of me. Roost ya later, Mike

I broke it in 98. It's the bone,that would be top left on left wrist if your palm was facing you. The Dr. said it looked like a dinner plate that had been smacked on a table (a little theatrical drama).

I beleive if I have one more surgery due to bikes, my wife and Mother will divorce me, I'll take my chance. Now that you've said that I'll probably injure it.

My dad disloacted his wrist and it was sitting on the side of his arm. This was at the end of the season last year and he was able to make the first race this year but now he wears the CTI wrist brace that he had custom made and the insurance paid for it. When he first wore the brace it was a little uncomftorable for him trying to twist the throttle but now it does not bother him after he played with it for a little while. But now hes out again because he tore the ligaments that hold ur kneecap to ur leg so hes out until next year again.