Reducing power of a "real" dirtbike for beginners?

My wife and I have been shopping for a bike for her. It's going to be her first, she's a total beginner. None of my bikes (Honda XR650R and Maico MC490) are suitable for her.

We looked at the beginner bikes and she pretty much likes the CRF230.

What I can't get over is how little bike you get for the money. The dealer had a used Honda CRF230 next to a used Yamaha YZ125 2 stroke MX bike. Both were 2003 models, both had seen little use, both looked almost new, and the YZ is 200 bucks less than the CRF :banghead: . That's just insane, the YZ is ten times the bike AND 40 pounds lighter than the CRF. You can't even begin to compare the suspension, parts quality and performance of the two. One is a toy and the other is a full on pro race bike. And you can kickstart the YZ with your hand, no button needed.

Yes, I know the YZ will kill her for now, but the CRF just seems like such a waste of money.

So I've been thinking, what about getting a "real" bike and restricting its power severely until she's up to it? Either a 125 two stroke, or even a 250F four stroke MXer. Has anybody here tried that? Restrict the intake, plug up the pipe, close up the air box, tame it down to where it won't kick anybody off? Wouldn't that make a whole lot more sense?

4Takt

Forget 2-smokes for you wife, it will just scare her if she has never rode.

You can put a slack in the throttle cable, to limit speed.

I dont know what size and build your wife is?

But what about a small older used bike?

Teach her the basics than buy a larger one after her confidence builds.

If she gets scared at the begining you have lost a riding partner for life.

KDX 200. :banghead: Great for short riders. Has 125 power without 125 hit. Reliable as a claw hammer, and....................inexpensive. Check one out. I think you'll be pleased.

PS. Agree absolutely about CRFs and XRs. Waaaay too much $$$ for what you get relative to a KDX, RMX or any MX bike.

that 125 isnt too terribly arm ripping imo. the power delivery is pretty predictable and smooth (however Im comparing it to other 125mxer's) its a real bike, If your a good teacher and she stays in one gear then she can handle it, start her out with tire circuits and explain to her how a dirt bike needs to be respected and isnt a toy but a machine that when used correctly can be the most fun youve ever had. Teach her to not be a wimpy about it. If you do it half assed, then it will bite you. Im assuming that she, along with the rest of the world, doesnt realize what it takes to ride a bike successfully, actually, forget what Im saying and get her an old xr200, every girl that I have tried the above with wont touch a motorcycle for eternity because they ALL acted wimpy about it.

I think I would put her on something easy to ride. And something thats comfortable to her. Esp. being that shes a beginner. Considering her size it may be kinda rough on her trying to learn on a full race MX bike. I started my son out on a racing MX bike and he was having a rough time with it to the point it wasn't so enjoyable for him. Picked up a CRF 230 for him and his learing curve accelerated massivly and he's having a blast now. I know it's only a mater of time before he needs something with a little more grunt but the point I'm trying to make is that it made it fun for him. And that can make the difference when trying to learn something new. Anyways good luck with whatever you do.

How about picking up a used TTR125L or XT225? Yes, she will outgrow it quickly. I did. But they seem to hold the resale value and then she would be better equipped to decide what bike SHE likes.

Send her over to the thumperettes forum too. Lots of nice people with all kinds of advice. :banghead:

How about picking up a used TTR125L or XT225? Yes, she will outgrow it quickly. I did. But they seem to hold the resale value and then she would be better equipped to decide what bike SHE likes.

Send her over to the thumperettes forum too. Lots of nice people with all kinds of advice. :banghead:

Good advice my point exactly

Yes, I know the YZ will kill her for now, but the CRF just seems like such a waste of money.

The YZ will kill her and be a total waste of money.

Soooo many people just have a great time on the CRF230F. Women really like them. Many men like them too. She will have 10 times more fun on the CRF230F. If she outgrows it, sell it and get another bike.

If you want a bike that is pluged up, get a stock XR250.

I have an XR200R I bought as a girlfriend bike. It is actually fun to ride. Just different and slower than the XR400.

KDX 200. :banghead: Great for short riders. Has 125 power without 125 hit. Reliable as a claw hammer, and....................inexpensive. Check one out. I think you'll be pleased.

PS. Agree absolutely about CRFs and XRs. Waaaay too much $$$ for what you get relative to a KDX, RMX or any MX bike.

A KDX200 has about 26 horsepower, while a 125 has about 35.

It depends on what you want to do, for trail riding, the CRF is fine, you don't need a fire breathing bike for most recreational trail riding. I like riding my dads piped and filtered KDX (he has a modded CRF230 as well). It has almost as much bottom as my uncorked 230 and quite a bit more top, with no hit. For more western type stuff it's a great bike, but for riding single track I like the lower height and more tourqe. Don't knock the button, I made fun of my dad for having it (I rode a kick start bike at the time), then I got my 230. The weight isn't an issue, the KDX doesn't feel much lighter than my 230 and I know i'd have an easier time picking up the lower 230.

well ur two options in this case would be a 125 with the biggest flywheel weight you can get for it. they're only 80-100 bucks and they calm things down ALOT and make the power real tractable and usable.

Or go with a wr250f, which is a weakened and calmer yz250f.

I had the same problem as you. when i searched for used bike to get my first bike i found ONE 125 2-stroke going for 3-4 grand. All the 250fs going got 4-5 grand and all the 450s going for 5-6 grand. but i found about 8 250 2-strokes for 1-2 grand, right on my price range. I even looked at the crf230 and crf150, and they were all 2-4 grand. so i went for a kx250 with a 10oz steahly flywheel. THE FLYWHEEL HELPS ALOT. if not for it, i'd probably be dead.

get her a four-stroke dude. it will be easier for her to ride. that 125 or most 2-stokes in general are not great for a trail bike, and the crf230 is. $200 difference is irrelevant, especially if the first thing you have to do is modify the 125 so she can ride it!!!

you plan on her racing??? you ready to do periodic top-end rebuilds on her bike???? get the 230...

Try this it is a whole lot CHEAPER!!!!! My girlfriend was interested in riding never rode before. So I looked into RENTING a bike something mellow XR 100 she loved it I rented it for 4 days took her to the desert and let her loose. COST $250. This is the way I was looking at things- she was INTERESTED not for SURE, so why not spend a few hundred dollars instead of thousands. I looked at used bikes in the Motorcycle Traders plenty of ads with this "WIFE G/F LOST INTEREST AFTER 2-3 RIDES" sure is a lot of money to spend if she doesnt end up even enjoying it. In the long run I went with a two smoke for her YZ 85. Small yet plenty of power. She is 5'5" 135 and it fits perfect. Good luck I hope this helps! :banghead: