Sign in to follow this  

rotator cuff advice

I have self diagnosed my shoulder problem. I think it is a rotator cuff. I have pain and weekness in the shoulder when rotated various ways. I laid off the shoulder about a year ago for a few months and it seem to heal. Now since riding mx regularly it is bothering me. You guys who have rotator cuff problems had surgery, PT, pills, sex, what? I am 46 and don't want to stop riding to have surgery. I also don't want to cause more damage by not taking care of it. Seeing top shoulder surgeon(Snyder) in Los Angeles Monday. Thanks.

I've had it happen to both shoulders - I got the shot, cortisone I think and it took care of it. The first time it took quite a while to work, in fact I was scheduled for surgery when it finally started getting better. I know some folks don't think the cortisone is cool, but I think it beats surgery. You could be better and enjoying riding again in a week or two... Good luck. -mike

I've dislocated both shoulders though many years ago(25+). I'm now 50. I hurt my shoulder about a year ago at work and had an MRI which revealed rotator cuff tear. Dr said try therapy which helped and I was fine till I slipped and fell on it. I went in for surgery in Oct 04. which revealed more damage than the MRI. 3 months with some vigorous physical therapy and I'm like new. I ride now more than I used to(new crfx 450 and a crf 450r) and I feel great. Cortisone is temporary relief, it doesn't "fix" it. Do what you gotta do and come back stronger than ever! Gotta grit your teeth cause it isn't easy, it hurt good but not no more. Worked for me.

I think I have the same thing on my left side. I am going to wait until the pain is unmanagable and then see the doc. It has been hurting for almost a year but only when my arm is in certain positions.

My buddy just had the surgery and it has taken him 5 months to start to be able to do stuff again.

Completely torn rt cuff,could not raise arm above head. Had Dr. Ting fix it up, three ti screws to reattach,am 47, had it 2 yrs ago,still able to ride MX with no problems :banghead::banghead:

Light weights helps a lot. I had shoulder problems for years and started using dumb bells and doing exercises. I have had zero discomfort for about 5 years now. Just my 2 cents. Oh, I don't use the weights anymore.

Being a Physical Therapist, I would not jump on the cortizone injection ban wagon. Get a clear diagnosis of the shoulder first and if it is a R.C. problem attempt conservitive measures first. The most common RC muscle to tear is the supraspinatus (the uppermost one, there is 4 RC muscles). It also can get very painful from impingement syndrome at that tendon and may feel like/act like a torn RC.

Its great if you are an old couch slug. Its not for the active person.

A few years back I was really into lifting weights. From day 1 I had shoulder problems. (To this day I dont do flat bench with the bar. I only use dumbells.)

I had the shot in my right shoulder at one point. The shot itself was cool. Very long needle! The rest sucked. It made my shoulder feel very weak and unstable/mushy. I also had this dull pressure/pain in my shoulder. I had to totally stop all lifts that involved the shoulder for 8 weeks.... until it wore off. Big mistake...

Either way, here is THE correct answer.

www.shoulderhorn.com

This contraption saved my shoulder! Not only did it solve my problem, it made my whole shoulder much more solid. At one point I was repping 85# DBs each hand on incline presses...and Im not a big guy. Shoulder horn rocks. Just do 3 sets of 20 2 or 3 times a week. You will use VERY light weight. Maybe 15# once you get strong...initially LESS....

It really works.

...and dont think about the surgey until you have dramatically strengthened your reverse/external rotation muscles using the horn. If you use the horn, and still have problems...THEN you may start thinking about other options.

It amazes me how many docs (even sports guys) dont know that many shoulder problems are due to uneven development (internal vs external rotation) in the shoulder joint. All the normal sports motions cause the shoulder to get pulled forward as you add muscle mass/get stronger. Then you go an put all this additional stress on it (because you are stronger) when it is sitting in a bad spot. Recipe for problems. Key is keeping your shoulder balanced and in the right spot by evenly developing all the muscles...

An ounce of prevention....

I dont know what to call them, but I do a series of 4 exercises a couple times a week with less than 3lbs of weight in my hand, I have two bad shoulders from baseball and riding. Those exercises help tremendously since I have, in laymens turned, loose R.C.

If you want more info on them, PM me and I'll explain over the phone the best way I can. Even better yet, go see an ortho and tell him you would like to try Physical Therapy before anything else, helps me tons. :banghead: