Sign in to follow this  

Should I go green?

Thats pretty much the question. I have seen it and I love the way it looks. But I am coming off a 2005 YZ250F... and ugly as it may be in comparison, the valves have never moved. And its like a tank. You might wonder why I want a new bike already when I am lowly C rider??? Simple. Economics aside, I am getting married next year. And building a house. I only have mere months left with "my own money." So I need something now, and preferably something that will last. I notice a high compression and only four valves. That scares me. I ride about 40 hours per year of moto. I am C, but I am okay, so I am not a beginner either. Will a KXF last me two years without new pistons or valves based on those numbers? Or moreover, has yours? I am meticulous about air filters and oil too, so consider that.

The YZF has proven itself to be the most reliable 250 thumper and the new 06 is really cool looking in yellow / black colors.

Go YZF for 06 inless you want to be checking valves every 2 rides, and shimming and replacing them. They will not last two years, mine lasted 6 months, barely got to ride this season working on mine so much, same with my friend. I just rebuilt the head and I want the bike gone.

Well for a different view, the KXF chassis and motor (As a package) are much more modern than the YZF. The YZF basic engine design is effectively from 1998 now.

The KXF is very reliable when treated well. I did a valve job on mine and had the seats cut in a proper SERDI machine at 5 angles and with stock valves they havent moved in a year, ie they dont wear out with a good valve job.

As for the valves....................my 04 hasn't moved at all.

Let's hope my 06KX fairs just as well.

Cheers

Joe

My opinion is stick with the Yzf. No disrespect to any of the others, But with out a doubt the Yzf if the most bullet proof! Being a C rider it is all about the rider, you won't be any faster or slower on any 250f provided its tuned to your liking. Good luck with the Marrage thing also, Its been 20yrs for me with No regrets!! Troy Vet 140.

They talked about better radiators and such in 05 and how it would help, load of crap. In the end it is your choice, I am just telling you how I feel after a year of owning mine. I rather ride then sit adjusting valves while I see my friends head off to the track or trails, or have my bike just not start out in the middle of the trails because the valves were toast.

don't hate. I run a local MX team in the NW and one of the guys has the 04 KXF and 05 KXF and he has had to do one valve adjust on each, and hae races year round 2-4 weekend a month. Many many hours on the bikes.

Yes, I suspect that some units in 04 and even 05 had some heat issues, and perhaps even valve issues (not as bad as the CRF250)

For 06 Kawi once again increase radiators, increase wat pump efficiency by 20%, Hard coated the crank, and some other stuff as well. The likely hood of "Issues" with the 06 motor are minimal, and certainly no more than any other brand for 06.

There are lemons across every brand just as there are golden units across everybrand.

Check you valves often, change the oils often, keep the air filter clean, and you will not have problems.

But if you really want to make sure you won't have valve problems, you could always go 2-stroke :banghead:

just cuz 1 person has had problems doesnt mean noone should buy them...the percentage of satified people with kx250f is huge compared to the few who had problems...those who had really bad problems must not being doing something right down the road and they probably dont know even it,

i mean ive seen so many decent mechanics check there valves but since it was not correctly at TDC it thew it all off and made the valves look in spec and then they go ride it for awhile and crap there valves out even worse leading to more and more problems...take care of it and keep an eye on the valves, i mean it takes like 10 mins to take apart and check..pure laziness for the people who dont wanna do it, than just ride it like and take care of it properly like a 4stroke should and u'll be fine

Moto, sorry to hear you have had bad luck with your KXF. The truth of the matter is they arent bad and all the people having good times arent here to comment about it because they are out having fun riding.

The KXF is a fine bike, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. Like ANY ultra high performance 4 stroke, including many car engines, they require frequent adjustments (like valve shimming, etc) in order to keep them reliable. If you do not adjust them or take care of them, you will pay the price. They are not bulletproof. The yamaha is not bulletproof, the KTM isnt, the honda isnt, etc. I have seen every brand frag valves and break cranks. Kawasaki/Suzuki got a crap load of bad rap because of the fact that it was a very high profile project. Yamaha had first dibs in the high performance 4 stroke market and has alot of buffer in terms of people talking crap about them. Ride one back to back and you will see what you lke better, the kawasaki is a much more modern bike than the yamaha.

I appreciate everyone's replies. And the pics are cool, but I am in no way disputing that the new kxf is a beautiful piece of artwork. I also understand that a question like this is more likely to get negative input than positive, so I consider that too... you're all very helpful. All I know for fact is that my 05 YZF is incredibly reliable, so for any other info I need your help. Thanks.