Sign in to follow this  

2-strokes are coming back!

Wow, just got an interesting phone call from someone at the annual AMA Congress up in Pickerington, Ohio. It appears that there’s a real chance for a “150cc” rule to be introduced for AMA Sports competition that would allow 125cc two-strokes to legally use overbore kits. Stay tuned—that could have a really interesting effect on the local Lites class.

return of the 2-stroke :banghead: just maybe..

no way dude four strokes are much better even if it is a 150cc whas up with allthe two stroke love on tt???

no way dude four strokes are much better even if it is a 150cc whas up with allthe two stroke love on tt???

because they're better

Unfortunately 2-smokes are doomed because of air quality issues. It may be another 10 years or so but it is comming!

agreedon the air issues. Also many people have gotten used to the power delivery of the 4 strokes, I think no matter what they are here for good

If they're better then why the double displacement difference and spare me the dribble of the amount of ignition firings. This should make it more sporting nonetheless.

Craigus Maximus

4-strokes are inferior to 2-strokes

it is that stupid gas rule which has hampered the master race of combustion engine..the 2-stroke

Kawasaki is going to be pissed!!!

Everyone gets to ride the Vet class bikes!

Can you get to 150cc without stroking the crank?

Overbores are relatively cheap. Stroking the crank isn't.

Kawasaki still produces the KX125..it just isnt sold here in America anymore..not this year :banghead:

actually i was talking too a local pro they use too run big-bores in the 125 before the 250f came around not sure if it was legal or not but he said everyone did it :banghead:

Kawasaki is going to be pissed!!!

Everyone gets to ride the Vet class bikes!

Can you get to 150cc without stroking the crank?

Overbores are relatively cheap. Stroking the crank isn't.

I installed a 144 cc kit in my '99 CR125 .....it was simply an overbore/ replated cylinder . The bike absolutely ripped !!

You guys that claim 4strokes are so much better woudn't be singing the same song if the a.m.a had made the displacement rules more fair.It took doubling the displacement of the 4strokes to make them competitive with the 2strokes.I like the 4strokes ,but I still prefer the 250 2stroke.I think the a.ma should allow bigger bore 2strokes in both the 125 and 250 classes.

two strokes just dont have what it takes in the 5 years four strokes will be so much more developed and the two stroke fans on year will all be on the four strokes simply cuz two strokes just cant run with the four strokes

i know that dirtbike bored out a yz125 to 144cc and the result was them screaming by 4-strokes, uphill, with a heavier rider.....

so if the ama allows 150cc 2-strokes, the 4-strokes are dead.

What would be funny would be if the AMA suddenly made the same displacement rules for both 2-strokes and 4-strokes. what if 250cc 4-strokes had to compete with 250cc 2-strokes. i wonder how long 4-strokes would take to adapt. they would probably end up so high strung looking for top end power they'd just end up with 2-stroke powerbands. kinda like todays 600cc crotch rockets. 17,500rpm R6...... thats nuts.

You gotta admit, when you bore a 125 into a 150 theyres a huge difference. Displacement is a huge thing, if 150 2 smokes were competing 250 four strokes. I think that if 150s came out of the factory like that there would be a huge turn back to 2 strokes. Emisssions is the biggest problem, but I'm sure that if the 2-strokes were making that much of a turn around, they'd find a way to get around the emissions.