supermoto bike wanted

im looking into getting into the sport. im sick of spending 100 bucks in gas just to get to the desert. is it worth turning a KX250F into a SM bike or should i just go with a new DRZ400SM? also, how does the DRZ compair to the KTM or other converted bikes? i would like to have a street legal bike. also does anybody have one for sale?

You could almost write a book to answer what you've asked. :banghead:

a) MOST people don't want to go through the hassle of registering a motocross bike for the street. Some hardcores do because they are absolutely the meanest, sharpest handling bikes possible, but they make lousy street bikes if you actually have to ride anywhere. Fancy changing the oil weekly if you ride to work a couple times a week? Fancy grenading your motor by staying on the interstate for more than a few miles at a time?

:banghead: Assuming you are talking new bikes, the DRZ is definitely the best bang for the buck. Very good handling, decent bike overall, but most agree it's underpowered. The KTM 625SMC blows it out of the water on horsepower and weighs about the same. Unfortunately they are up to well-over $8,ooo for 2006! There are more options but they are generally even more obscure and hard to find/get parts for than the KTM; like Husqvarna.

c) If you are open to used bikes, you have even more options. A KTM Duke II might not be considered a "supermoto" bike by some, but it makes a hell of a fun street bike. There are plenty of DR-Zs of all different levels of build that can be had for cheap, but you'll likely have to provide the finishing touches. That's a plus to some. In my opinion, the 2004 KTM 625SMC is the best deal out there for a street supermoto styl;e bike. Awesome balance between maintenance, light weight, weight, street legality, and fun. I sold mine a few months ago, but already plan to replace it.

I agree with the above comment about converting a MXer into a street legal motard.. I have a YZ450F that is converted and is also street legal (sorta) it is registered (easy for me because i work for YAMAHA and we register bikes here). AWESOME on the streets but it does suck on the freeway. NO GAS GAUGE and running out of gas is easy. Those big carbs opened up im good for about 25 miles to a tank or some.. Of hard riding.. But damn nothing is any more fun..

I don't know if I would use a converted dirt bike for the highway, most of them just were not designed to be riden at stedy rpms for long distances. however for the 8mile trek to work (like I have) my WR400 was a hoot. I have recently updated to a 03 KTM 525sx-SM that I plan on streetarding. If highway riding is a must then go with something that is sold as street legal.

to bad you live in cali, i would sell you this one;

KTM002.jpg

I would have to agree with these guys you may want to consider something already street legal opposed to getting an MXer thats been plated. I have ridden a KTM 525 EXC with SM setup and they are sweet on the track but I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to do my daily commute with one (30 or so miles each way mostly freeway)..... For short stuff around town they would be fine.

The DRZ actually makes an awesome street SM and can be done at a decent price. If you are looking to save some cash you could find an S or even better a plated E or Kicker model used for as little as $2 - $3k and just put some SM wheels and brakes on it. I did my wheels and Motomaster Race brake kit for just under $1500....... Deal.

As for being underpowered - the SM and S models aren't all they could be stock. The E / kicker models are the ones that come better equipt..... FCR39, better cams, slightly better exhaust. Anyways if you blow some money on it and get the right parts on it you will find they make excellent power with 400cc. Check out my garage. :banghead:

As for economy they do pretty well to. I ride my DRZ as my daily driver and even with an FCR39 carb I get around 50 MPG always (48 49). I also was insane enough to ride it to the AMA supermoto finale in Reno (over 300 miles total there and back).

I bought a 2005 DRZ400SM and put a Yosh full system on it and FCR39mm carb along with a K&N and was still let down by the lack of power. I sold it and bought a 2005 KTM 525 SMR. The 525 SMR has more power, better handling and brakes than the 400sm. I drove the 400sm every were and sold it after 400 miles. I got my KTM 525 SMR registered and drive it on the highways, backroads and around town... I could not be happier. :banghead:

in your oppinion can the DRZ handle highway use and some "every day riding", say 8 miles round trip to work?

The DRZ-SM is sold by Suzuki as a street bike. Suzuki would not sell a street bike that would not hold up to street riding or it would ruin their reputation. this is actuallt what will keep it from being the best choice for outright SM racing, it is a street bike and not a purpose built race bike. Some compromises have to be made for the sake of rideability and reliability instead of outright performance. this is the same reason why a TZ250 makes a great race bike but you wouldn't want to use it on the street. :banghead: