Sign in to follow this  

The Jury is still out on my new tire purchase

I just purchased a set of Maxxis Maxx Cross IT for my 96 XR250R. The tires they replaced were Michelin Cross Competition MS11. I couldn't find these on Michelin's website so I don't know if they are still available. First the reason I purchased new tires is because I felt the front tire which had good tread left was slipping to much and I thought a new tire in the rear would help me get up some steeper hills. Also the rear tire was nearing it's lifespan as well. OK so I go for my first test ride today and was immediately pissed. I figure aha I have all this new tread I'll see if I can just crawl up my first hill. Wrong. Basically hit a tree and had to turn around and start over. the rest of the ride didn't go much better. My balance was shaky to say the least and I was getting thrown all over the place and spinning going up hills as well. I took it back to the house and discovered I had about 14+ pounds of pressure front and rear. I dropped it back to 12 lbs. and tried again. Well it was quite an improvement balance was back to almost normal however I still couldn't pull hills as good as I could on my old tires. The other thing I noticed is the 130/80x18 Michellins are wider than the 110/100x18 Maxxis. I was told that was the correct conversion. Here is a photo so you all can see.

tires.jpg

in the tire sizing, for example 130/80-18 130 is the max width of the tread in mm, 80 is the aspect ratio. The aspect ration is the sidewall height as a percent of the width, for example your tire has an aspect ratio of 80% so the sidewall is .8*130 mm tall. The 18 is obviously the rim size. The heigh of your two tires are similar, the 130/80 is wider and shorter however. 104mm tall versus 100.

I just rode again today and lowered the rear PSI to 10 lbs. For my loose terrain the Maxxis Maxx Cross IT rear is crap. It didn't hook up as nice as my worn out Michelin Cross Competition MS11. I'm going to replace it with a Michelin Cross Competition S12.