Sign in to follow this  

Wife and I looked at a CRF230 for her today, but...

My wife's first bike is a CRF230 and she really digs it. Being low to the ground for easy dabbing and having an electric starter are the two most important factors for her. She could ride my old XR OK but couldn't put her feet down or kick start it which took all the fun out of it for her (she's 5'-4", 110lbs). Her only complaint about the 230 is that it's a little on the heavy side but after riding a KX100, she says she'd still happily take the 230 over it.

DONT get her a 125 if thats what your getting at. i would get her a 230 or kawi 220. either of those 2 bikes would be great for her. never start a person whos never ridden before on a 125 2 smoker! i happened to really like my 230 that i had and the pprice wasnt 2 bad. but ive heard the 220 kawi is great as well.

Since you already think the 230 is ( a waste of money ) please move on, do not buy a 230. :banghead:

I felt the same way about the 230 :banghead: I ended up getting my wife 5' 6" a xr 250 with a lowering link :banghead: But now after a year of her riding it I think the 230 would of been fine if not better just for the button alone🤣

First off, how tall is your wife?

If she is over 5'6 get her a bigger bike.

I am 5'1.5 and I love my bike. I certainly have to make modifications, but I tell you what, its way faster and powerful then a ttr125, and it keeps up fairly well with my husbands 450X (not that any bike I could fit on would.)

How about you see what your wife wants, and not what you want.

Does she want a 2 stroke? Does she want to have to kick start it going up a hill that she killed it on?

Because the first 2 riding sesions are going to really suck no matter what she is on, believe me!!!!

Good luck! :banghead:

What does SHE want,, what you want for her is a distant second...even with the best of intentions :banghead: My wife rides a 230,, and while I would like to see her on a better bike (suspension at least) she is just plain happy with the 230. It starts every time with the push of a button, even after being upside down :banghead: It goes as fast as she is interested in riding. It has been able to take her on medium skill trails with ease. With a lowering link, it's a good fit for a 5'5" rider.

One is a toy and the other is a full on pro race bike.

So is she planning on racing or playing? Sounds like you already answered your own question in that quote.

I would say the CRF150 or 230, 2 smokes suck ass. If you want a more aggresive bike then buy, a XR250 and lower it.

I got on honda 250 the other day.

I think if I lowered it, the ground clearance would suck.

I just wanted to make sure before I started to modify my 230 that I wasnt going to trade in on a 250. But there is no way! I cant wait to get all this stuff done on the 230!

btw, im 5'1 :banghead:

So is she planning on racing or playing? Sounds like you already answered your own question in that quote.

That statement wasn't well thought out on my part. What I meant by that is that for less money you get way better suspension, better brakes, etc with a 125 vs. the 230.

My wife won't be racing.

I made the mistake of test driving that 230 myself. I'm 6'4", 220lbs, and the bike felt like a toy with a moped engine to me. And way heavy, too. What, like 25 lbs less than my XR650R? I must admit I was probably eyeballing that 125 thinking I could borrow it on occasion :banghead: .

She has never been on any bike, so she really doesn't know what she wants, but I believe the 230 would probably be a good, non intimidating starter bike for her.

I still think they're way expensive for what they are.

I appreciate all the input. I'm paying attention.

4Takt

I got on honda 250 the other day.

I think if I lowered it, the ground clearance would suck.

I just wanted to make sure before I started to modify my 230 that I wasnt going to trade in on a 250. But there is no way! I cant wait to get all this stuff done on the 230!

btw, im 5'1 :banghead:

h230_gurl, she's 5'7", not exactly short, but we tried an XR250 on for size and she could only reach the ground with her toes. On the 230 she can get her feet down flat.

Was the 230 your first bike?

4Takt

4Takt,

Chances are your wife would absolutely hate a 125.

Chances of her taking a liking to riding are probably higher on the 230 than any other bike out there. The low end torque is great for beginners. The button of course is a big plus.

It's a great time to be a used bike right now. Check your local craigslist.com

:banghead:

Hey Gurl! You're a tower of power! My wife is one inch shorter than you. :banghead:

I'm 5'7", 150 lbs. I have had my 230 for two years. It's a great bike for the trails. Plenty of power for anything other than racing. Stone cold reliable. Have dumped it many, many times. I haven't broken anything, and it's easy to pick back up. The button is wonderful. But I'm biased...

Bought a CRF230 for my 16 year old, and he just loves it. My wife (5'8") also rides it, but prefers my younger sons TTR125LE (easier to handle and gives her more confidence). I just put on TAG X5 CR double high bars, and now his arms are in the right position and the vibration is cut in half. The power is adequate, but the suspension is lacking unless you spend some money. I will probably buy a new rear shock and shim up the forks for Christmas, unless the boys get there way and end up with a new X-box. Very reliable so far and the filter even stays fairly clean after a ride (haven't done any power mods yet).

That statement wasn't well thought out on my part. What I meant by that is that for less money you get way better suspension, better brakes, etc with a 125 vs. the 230.

My wife won't be racing.

I made the mistake of test driving that 230 myself. I'm 6'4", 220lbs, and the bike felt like a toy with a moped engine to me. And way heavy, too. What, like 25 lbs less than my XR650R? I must admit I was probably eyeballing that 125 thinking I could borrow it on occasion :banghead: .

She has never been on any bike, so she really doesn't know what she wants, but I believe the 230 would probably be a good, non intimidating starter bike for her.

I still think they're way expensive for what they are.

I appreciate all the input. I'm paying attention.

4Takt

I'm 5'11" 190 something. My 05' 230 was under $3300.00 otd. Half the price of the 250 (I know your talking used and a 125 Vs. 230). When it comes to trails, I have no problem keeping up with the "race bikes". It's only on the straights they kill me. The rear drum brakes do suck imo and the front end bottoms out if I land wrong but this is and easy fix. Bottom line. I'm very happy with my 230. It does just what I was looking for. :banghead:

The 125 may be cheaper, but remember you will be selling it for less $$$ shortly. IMHO the 125 is a very bad move for someone just learning as they are very peaky. The 230 has a wide torque curve and delivers its horsepower in a very linear fashion over a wide range of rpms, very unlike the 125 (even modified for this type of delivery with reed spacer, porting, pipe, etc)

The 230 is reliable as a axe and is easy for a beginner and has electric start. My wife loves our modified 150 and our 230. They have been set up as adult play bikes and are far more capable than almost everyone gives them credit for. These motors are very capable and so are the suspensions (basically smaller XR 250/400 suspension), just need a couple small tweaks to bring it out.

Both our bikes have an RSW fork brace, heavier fork oil, and heavier springs front and rear. My 215 lbs works the suspension, but it handles far better than stock. With your wife all she should need is the fork brace ($70.00) and preload the stock fork springs with some stainless washers ($10), and set the sag in the rear.

These motors, even built, are rock solid. There are big bore kits available that will take the 230 to 250cc for cheap and will perform much better with a aftermarket pipe, cam, and add of the XR250R carb that are being thrown away by the XR crowd for Mikuni pumpers or Edelbrocks. A 22-25 HP/25 ft lbs Torque motor is only a few hundred away.

The 230 can grow, performance wise, with your wife and you can complete most of the mods in your garage together.

h230_gurl, she's 5'7", not exactly short, but we tried an XR250 on for size and she could only reach the ground with her toes. On the 230 she can get her feet down flat.

Was the 230 your first bike?

4Takt

It was my first bike in about 7 years.

So basically I was a newbie. At 5'1 I can only touch with my tippie toes on the 230. It will bug her the first couple of rides if she can't touch, after that no problem! If she can fit on the bigger bike, and she is going to be serious about it, i really suggest the bigger bike. But if she is only going to be on it once a month, just get the 125.

dont have her get anything bigger than an xr 250 if u still want ur ridin buddie. ive seen kids or moms get bikes that are way to big for them and end up hating to ride altogether, or are to affraid to do ride.