Sign in to follow this  

Wife and I looked at a CRF230 for her today, but...

First bike? Get her a used CRF150 so she can learn to ride.. If she starts to run out of power or is getting bored on it then sell it and get her a 230 or 250.

Be smart and start with something small.

Get over the part that you might have to move up to something else.

You won't lose money on these bikes after 6-10 months of use.

by the way, alaskan 230 gurl...

if u lowered the 250 the clearance would still be 1/2 again better than ur 230, TRUST ME! i had a 230 and the clearance on it,... well it basically sucks, and the 250's... well its quite awsome, (how do u think they do those huge triples!?) i lowered my 250 an inch and a 1/2, and the clearance is still great. it will do way more clearance wise (as well as anything else) and still be lowered to the right hieght for u. plus u can also lower the seat around an inch or so and not mess with clearance at all! :banghead:

dont overlook the 250 just yet, in fact, i think it would be an awsome bike for u! (however u can still trick out ur 230 lol)

by the way, alaskan 230 gurl...

if u lowered the 250 the clearance would still be 1/2 again better than ur 230, TRUST ME! i had a 230 and the clearance on it,... well it basically sucks, and the 250's... well its quite awsome, (how do u think they do those huge triples!?) i lowered my 250 an inch and a 1/2, and the clearance is still great. it will do way more clearance wise (as well as anything else) and still be lowered to the right hieght for u. plus u can also lower the seat around an inch or so and not mess with clearance at all! :banghead:

dont overlook the 250 just yet, in fact, i think it would be an awsome bike for u! (however u can still trick out ur 230 lol)

I think I would have to cut down, one way or another, about 3.5 inches, to be about as high as my 230 (which I can't touch the ground on either!)

I know I will get a different bike next summer/spring.

I am either thinking a 250, or maybe a 2 stroke. I dont really want a 2 stoke, but I would get a lighter bike with more power.. But I definatly want the 250 more....

230 for sale.. :banghead: 3K

If you CRF230 riders don't mind the cross post, my wife and I went shopping for a bike for her today and I was wondering about this:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297527

No offense intended to any of you who love their CRF230s, really :lol: .

Just tell me what you think.

4Takt

in your other post you said the 125 is better quality than the 230 that couldn't be farther from the truth :banghead: hello were talking a super high performance rolling hand grenade of a bike against a nice little 230 :banghead: c'mon people the 230 will last 10 times longer my old 1964 honda trail 90 has the figgin crap beat out of it and runs fine never needed a top end clutch or anything and thae 230 has a even better design

I would say the CRF150 or 230, 2 smokes suck ass. If you want a more aggresive bike then buy, a XR250 and lower it.

What makes you believe "2 smokes" suck ass?

There are big bore kits available that will take the 230 to 250cc for cheap and will perform much better with a aftermarket pipe, cam, and add of the XR250R carb that are being thrown away by the XR crowd for Mikuni pumpers or Edelbrocks. A 22-25 HP/25 ft lbs Torque motor is only a few hundred away.

Can you explain to me how a bigger carb would give it more power? Wouldn't putting bigger jets be cheaper?

Coeshow and some of the others are the experts...but here goes. Your engine is an air pump. The components were placed together to provide certain characteristics such as a low to mid powerband as a combination, etc.

Once you open up the intake and exhaust and they are capable of flowing more, the limiting factor becomes the amount of air in the combustion chamber and how it gets into it. On these little bikes once bore size/compression ratio/cam lift & duration are maximized the 24 or 26mm carburetor becomes a bottle neck to optimal air flow. That is why you see replacement with bigger carbs (26 on 150 and 30 on 230). Also physically speaking when you are forcefully pulling air through the carb, its ability to efficiently mix the appropriate amount of fuel and atomize it properly becomes a stretch. Carbs are designed to effectively mix, with proper jetting, certain air flow parameters. On vehicle carbs you will sometimes see flows actually listed in application charts (560 CFM, 650 CFM, etc)

Can you explain to me how a bigger carb would give it more power? Wouldn't putting bigger jets be cheaper?

McDRZ is right. The 230 is under carbureted. Intentionally of course. The small carb is very forgiving on jetting & gives good low end response. The negative is it puts a limit on the top end. The stock 230 really gets weak on top & it's because it can't pull enough air through that small hole. Bigger carb should be one of the first engine mods if you want more power at higher rpm. I think the bike could benefit even in stock uncorked condition.

alaskan 230 gurl...

i think the most ull get when u lower ur bike ( suspension and seat) is around 3 to 3 and 1/2 inches. u can get anywhere from 1 and 1/2 inhces to 2 inches from lowering the suspension, and around around 1 and 1/2 inces outta ur seat.

p.s. the 250f feels like a blow up toy in wieght compared with the 230! trust me, ull love the 250. and since u already like the 4's id stick with em. a 125 just isnt as nice as a 250f and thats what ur used to anyways. go with that.

ahh its debatable i would throw her on a crf150 and mod it out the ass like im doing that bike will never throw her off

Wouldn't you have to bore out the ports because even if your making a bigger hole in the carb wouldn't the same amount of air still go through that tiny intake port?

Wouldn't you have to bore out the ports because even if your making a bigger hole in the carb wouldn't the same amount of air still go through that tiny intake port?

Somewhat true, but all of the Honda heads are pretty good pieces of engineering...but of course can be improved by someone who knows what they are doing. But the thing that makes more difference is the bore size (area of bore to hold air) and compression ratio (air volume/cc's of air in the combustion chamber that is under pressue...actually slightly more air in smaller area in 12.5:1 versus 9.0:1 because of vacuum/velocity dynamics) coupled with cam lift (i.e opening to flow air through) and cam duration (i.e. the amount of time the valves are open to flow air through).

Think of it like this: If I have two equal size cylinders and I have #1 that can hold 10cc of air containing 21% oxygen at a 13:1 fuel/air ratio.

Same size cylinder number 2 can hold 15cc of air containing 21 % oxygen @ 13:1 fuel/air ratio...theoretically #2 would have 150% of stored energy of #1.

#2 = more energy in same area = more hp

Now I am even confused :banghead:

No boring, just port match to the carb. The intake port & valves are not the weak link. The carb is.

:banghead:

First bike? Get her a used CRF150 so she can learn to ride.. If she starts to run out of power or is getting bored on it then sell it and get her a 230 or 250.

Be smart and start with something small.

Get over the part that you might have to move up to something else.

You won't lose money on these bikes after 6-10 months of use.

I agree 100%. I bought my wife a CRF150 and she says it's perfect for her. She had not rode a dirtbike before this one. She says she feels confident on it and is not afraid of it even after she pinned the throttle, dropped the clutch and hung on for the ride :banghead: After being high sided, She picked it up and said "that was stupid" and rode off. I know she will out grow it eventually but if I got her something to big she would be scared to ride it. Remember power is not important when your learning, control is. It's the same thing when it come to street bikes. Why do you think they teach new riders on Honda Rebel 250s? That bike is a slug. Would you buy her a ZX10 and say she will grow into it? Remember control... They need to feel confident. :banghead:

I am sorry to offend the 2 smokers(this is a 4 stroke forum) Yes, for what they are going to do, like trail ride a 2 smoke is not a good idea and they require a lot more maintenance then a mild 4 stroke. Reliability :banghead: