Sign in to follow this  

Chain Lube Question

What kind of lube are you guys using on the factory :banghead: o-ring chain, also how do you clean the chain prior to lubing it ???

90 percent of the time I use wd-40. Any of the motorcycle specific chain lubes that I have used in the past make a total mess and everything on the planet seems to stick to the chain. I like tri-flow but can never find it around here.

Pressure wash then WD-40. I know this is not the recommended method but after trying many methods I like this the best by far. It is fast, chain looks like it is in great shape and you can get WD-40 anywhere.

I was told NOT to use WD-40 on O-ring chain by the Honda dealer when I bought the bike?? I have been usung PJ1 Blue label Lube and Maxima Chain Lube. The Maxima seems to be a little dryer after it sets up, therefore less dust collection...just my .02

I believe that the Dealer advised you wrong (perhaps beacause a can of chain lube is 10 bucks, and so is a gallon of WD). The concern with WD is that is will compromise the rubber o-rings. That is not the case. Perhaps with some types of "rubber" that could be an issue, but the orings are nitrile...impervious to anything WD could do to them. All WD is, is a kerosene base with oil additives, thus you put the stuff on, the kerosene evaporates, and your left with the lubricating oils. WD has never, ever been a problem for me. I think you'll find a ton of other folks are using it also. To each his own, but I do disagree with your dealership's advice. Additionally, many manuals will suggest a "high flash point" solvent to clean youre o-ring chain, kerosene is one example...

As I mentioned before, every "chain lube" I've used collects a ton of grime...the wd does not. 2000 plus miles on my last chain and sprocket combo with no issues. problem...always used WD. Again, everyone has a preference, but I'm inclined to use WD, tri-flow, or some evaporating teflon spray.

I have the easiest method. I just hose off my chain with water an forget about it. The o-rings keep any lube from getting in or out. My chains seem to last as long as everbody elses. I think chain lube is highly overated.

I forgot to mention above that the Honda recommended lube is 90w gear lube. I do use this on non o-ring chains.

WD40. When I wash the bike, I hose the chain down and give it a light scrub with a nylon brush I got at the market, then spray it down with WD40

PJ1 Blue label - I have used others and this is what I like most - goes on well and you do not get that nasty guey finish you do with some others.

I have the easiest method. I just hose off my chain with water an forget about it. The o-rings keep any lube from getting in or out. My chains seem to last as long as everbody elses. I think chain lube is highly overated.

O-ring chains can rust by this method. I know.

I flush out water with a short ride and WD-40, then use BelRay lube.

I used to use the bel ray chain lube and got tired of trying to clean the crap off of everything around the chain. A friend of mine was using WD40 on his KTM and he told me that the factory race guys were doing the same thing, so it must be a good idea. So, I've been using it ever since, and I might add, I am quite happy with the WD40. It is much cleaner and seems to work better then any other chain lube that I have used in the past. Yeah, the dealer doesn't reconmend it, but hey, they are out for your money, not your happiness.

To clean the chain I use an old tooth brush and some WD-40. Works pretty good. To lube the chain I use chain lube that is clear and NOT sticky and thick. Seems to work good.

I've used 80w90 gear oil for years. Just turn the wheel and apply to both sides of the chain, then let it sit and soak in. I've gotten great life from the chains and sprockets. But then an XR250 doesn't have enough power to stretch a good chain!