Sign in to follow this  

xr 400r still off road competitor?

i just got a new 2004 xr 400. would of goten crf 450 but i had to finance and a crf is just to exspencive with interest. so i was just wondering whats every body opinion on the xr400? could this bike still be a challenger off road with the right mods?

Yes, it is a very competitive offroad/trail bike.

To be honest for low maintenance, reliability, offroad performance you really just cannot top an XR400 or 250.

Last but not least Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Thumper Talk Forum. :banghead:

:banghead:🤣🤣

Heck yes it can! The XR4 is the "git-r done" bike. If your talking racing; I'd vote for the EXC300. I have no issues riding with my buds on their EXC RFS's & WRF's, but if your into the long off road type enduros, the flickability of the EXC 2-smoke is nice. I won't ever stop riding my XR4, though. It's a great machine for what it was made for: carrying weekend warriors up their favorite mountain. :banghead::banghead:

....could this bike still be a challenger off road with the right mods?

The XR400 cannot be a serious challenger off road no way no how. Motorcycle technology has just run away and left the old girl far behind. Never the less, I love this bike for what it is and not for what it is not. This is a serious play bike that will do anything most play riders need. It will handle beginner and novice level off road competition with correct suspension tuning and engine uncorking. If you have notion of trying to compete at any level beyond novice then save yourself the grief and go get something serious like a Honda CRF or a KTM.

I am convinced the XR400 is a much better play bike in most respects than the newer high tech options available plus it is the most reliable bike of all time.

The real question is are you off-road competitive?

A CRF450 or YZ250 2-stroke will run away from an XR400. Also, I'm a mid pack racer. However, when the course gets tight, those bikes tend to get stalled on certain obstacles. I've passed my friend on his CRF450R four times i a race because he stalled it. A couple KTM 450EXC's too.

Another friend raced the XR400 and beat a lot of people on newer bikes. The rider skill does matter a lot. You'll hold back the XR400 more than the XR400 will hold back you. Get better, then worry about trading up.

If you are looking for serious competition, then it depends on your ability as a rider. I can keep up with enough people out there on the smaller, lighter bikes, and the ones with more power then what I have. Then there are the ones that go blasting by me, and then I find them down the trail a ways, with their radiator center punched on a root or something sticking out in the trail. I'll stop long enough to tell them where some of their pieces of bike are. The XR will handle anything you throw at it, you made a good choice in bikes. :banghead::banghead:

Think of the xr400 this way. It weighs about the same as the other offroad 450 4strokes. It has the torque that the 250s are missing but doesnt have the neck snapping hit the 450s are getting. Its a happy medium. It is also very reliable so you can just worry about racing and not the bike not finishing. It was more than a good bike for me when I finished first in my first ever harescamble. Does the xr400 not sound like the almost perfect bike? To make the perfect bike, ask us about all the mods you can do to it to make it better.

the XR400 is still competetive enough to race

it doesn't tire you out as fast as those modern 450 thumper

and the best part is, very low maintenance. :banghead:

XR400's are awesome and totally competitive for most racing at almost any level.

Sure, you wouldn't want to go race one in the CA desert, but you're from the N-E....the bike will be great for there.

Even if you have the ability to make it to ISDE the bike will be great.

People say the KDX200 is an old-school, outdated bike....doesn't seem to bother Jeff Fredette.

just remember that the rider makes the bike. Th ebike does not make the rider... I have seen guys on totally tricked out YZFs and CRFs look great and make lots of noise but when it comes down to creek crossings, muddy up hills, deep sand....they can't make the fancy bike dance. Good skills and a rock hard pair of stones is all that really counts... plus, when the big XR passes the fancy boys, it feels so damm good!

just remember that the rider makes the bike. Th ebike does not make the rider... I have seen guys on totally tricked out YZFs and CRFs look great and make lots of noise but when it comes down to creek crossings, muddy up hills, deep sand....they can't make the fancy bike dance. Good skills and a rock hard pair of stones is all that really counts... plus, when the big XR passes the fancy boys, it feels so damm good!

I must say that I am very disappointed in seeing so many respected members of this board telling a TT newbie that the XR400 is still off road competitive with the right modifications. Why not just admit that the XR400 is a wonderfull play bike that will last forever. Why not just admit that the XR400 will do well in the beginner classes and could get by in the novice classes with a good novice rider. Why not admit that for the serious riders in the serious classes from junior/amateur and up the XR400 is bottomless money pit.

To compare the seriousness of the XR400 to the seriousness of the KDX 200/220 is totally off the mark. The KDX can be transformed into a very competitive bike for the top classes with less than $1000. in mods. The XR400 would not be competitive in top classes with $4000. in modifications.

As much as I love the XR400 - I am on my second one at this time - it is now only a very good play bike. The worst thing we could do here is to try and get someone to invest large amounts of cash into a hopeless quest to convert the XR400 into something it can never become, and that would be a serious race bike.

I'm at the end of my first season of racing HS and Enduros. I can tell you that if you've never raced before, which I'm sure you haven't or you wouldn't ask this question, then the bike will not hold you back for at least a season. I'm still on my XR440 and I'm starting to think I might go a little faster on a newer bike since it would have better suspension, but I still came out 43rd overall out of 98 last weekend even with having a flat front tire most of the last lap (4 - 12mile laps), so I beat 55 people on newer bikes (most are less than 3yrs).

In my opinion if you want to race, then race with the XR and spend as little as possible on mods... you would need to respring to your weight, change the choke plate, add barkbusters, and either cut your bars or get mini bars. (I revalved my suspension myself from info here on TT). Oh yeah, don't forget the Gordon mods (theres a sticky at the top of this forum). I also spent about $300 on the 440 and it makes a BIG difference but its not necessary.

If you can resist too many mods, then after a year of racing you will know what you want to get, or if you want to just keep the XR.

If you mean only occasional racing, then yeah the XR is great.

Joel

The XR400 has always been a great bike. Low maintenance is just and extra with the bike. The 04 XR400 is equipped with SHOWA suspension :banghead: . You can't get better than that unless your running modded suspension. The bike might be a bit of a tank (pushing around 260 pounds), but its got great overall speed. I have an 04 CRF250R, but my dad has a XR400. Very different bikes obviously, but comparing the two anyways... I'd take the XR for the nice long desert rides. The XR400 is Honda's best desert machine :banghead:.

NO. I race one and it is slow and heavy. Bottom line. If you were really looking to compete you would be looking elseware. However, the bike is as dependable and solid as they come. Long rides- just about any condition - the XR is a great choice. It is 1997 technology. Heavy. You can drop 5k in mods and make it a great XR - many of us have- but it can't hang with new bikes that have been race preped. Just enjoy it for what it is - a damn good - dependable - trail bike. :banghead: PS - any bike with the right rider on it can be a competitor.

You will love it,,, easy maint useable power.I bought mine new 1997 engine never apart. Told myself every few year's im getting a new bike. Im also guilty looking at the 450's all the cool add on's... But let's see a 450 in 10 year's........... That should make your day....... One thing you did get is one of the best trail bike's ever... A fun day rideing is getting there and back.Every xr rider here will agree.I have allway's got home from a ride Since 1997 i have towed my fair share of the new high tech bike's back to there camp's. The xr has the low end grunt to pull a plow with. So were im going with this is there are many mod's you can put on are xr. I have allmost everything but the big bore kit . The nice part it's your's do it anyway ya want

thnx for all the great replys guys. well since my purchase ive had some time to spend with the bike in the woods and also visit some of the famous new englend rock gardens around here and i am happy with my ride. :banghead: ive dome to the conclusion that in the new england woods this bike can still hang a few mods are needed of course(mainly suspension and a little to clean up the power delivery). ive been riding since i was 12 and all my bikes were 2 smokers then at around 16 i kind of just stopped riding and now 5 years later im back and it felt great to rip around the trees and get muddy.as far as racing gos i dont think ill be racing any if at all.mainly ill just be riding with my friends on the trails. i tell u this when your 20 miles away from your truck and u dont know if u got gas enouph to get back and its getting dark new england woods suck.it gets mighty creepy up here neer the mass / new hampshire border.just enouph light to cast shadows every were a little bit of wind to mave stuff around and the thought of the blair wich lurking about behind the tree line🤣 plus i was riding alone :banghead:

well thnx for all the replys and i look forward surfing the forums for moding info.

The XR400 is Honda's best desert machine .

Huh???? Ever heard of the xr650r? Ever heard of the Baja 1000? How many xr400's do they race there?