Sign in to follow this  

Plastic,, OEM vs Acerbics, vs UFO

This what I have found anyway. There is no plastic like OEM, period. Especially Honda OE plastic, there is no comparision on price either. You pay through your nose for new OE plastic.

UFO and Acerbics are about half the price so which one of those then? Well in the past I have always gone with UFO, no reason that is just what I ran.

So I decided my 05 needed a make over since the previous owner had this issue with staying on the bike. And just for the hell of it I decided to go with an Acerbics kit this time, same price as UFO, must be as good right? Wrong,,

The shrouds and side panels didn't really line up well at all. I got them to look straight, but I know how they went on compared to the stock that came off. Also compared to how well my UFO kit fit my 02 CR250R. So I can deal with the fit, you get what you pay for. The UFO stuff don't fit perfect either.

Then after 3 rides and 2 small lay overs on low speed bends that I was just too low in and looped out, no big deal. I notice that the front fender and rad shrouds have lots of white all over them from where they took impact in those two small lay downs. Things that I have done 10 times worse on my UFO stuff and we all know you have to fold a Honda fender to discolor it.

I will never buy Acerbics again, UFO or used OE all the way (alot of times you can pick up some brand new OE for cheap cause someone changed to black or something). New OE is just too much for plastic, even if it is the best. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

Acerbics plastic is the worst aftermarket plastic I have used. With the Acerbic my nice Red bike turns pink after about a month. I have been buying the Polisport plastic and so far it holds it color and stays shiny longer than Acerbics.

Acerbics = crap... IMO

• Like 1

My Acerbis plastics (black) are fine and fit quite well.

Maybe its just their red that doesn't hold up? Or maybe you have just not laid it down on it yet? I just can't believe how bad mine looks after a few rides.

As far as buying new plastic I have not had to do yet... But my Acerbis handguards have takin one hell of a beating and have stood up very very well. I even had one twisted around my bars, and as soon as i could muscle it back around to the front, it was back to perfect. No stress marks or anything, and was just as tight as when i first put them on. So IMO, Acerbis makes very good products.

acerbis isnt that great...i have bought like 3 sets from them so far for my kx250f...the front and rear fender is like thinner than OEM so when ur riding it bounces up and down all retarded, and the holes are always drilled slighly off so its harder to fit..there flow green fades after 3 rides into a mint green

i guess oem is the only way to go

Also, on some Honda models, if you buy radiator shrouds, they come with stock graphics installed! That's worth a little extra to me.

Yup, simmilar to the KTM stuff. They usually have the stock KTM logo in the radiator corner. Not the fancy military graphics, but hey...

I think the worst plastic from factory is Yamaha. White streaks all over the place.

Other than that, all factory plastic seems to be VERY good stuff!

I believe Yamaha OEM plastic is Acerbis.

It use to be Maier had the worst reputation. Acerbis the best, but I guess times and quality change. I'd like to figure out what UFO plastic I have on my XR200 as it fits and looks better than stock. Came with the used bike. I can't find any part numbers on the fenders.

OEM Yamaha plastic is NOT Acerbis.The OEM stuff actually fits on the bike without bending it and shoving it into place.The Acerbis plastic is not even close to the OEM yamaha plastic.

Cycra plastic is very very nice.A little expensive but high quality.

• Like 1

i wanna get a couple pieces of black, just the break up the blue on my bike, i guess i'm going with UFO. you took the post right outta my fingers!!!

I've always used UFO for replacement stuff. I find it to be good stuff! Except the blue creases as well

Bent Fender Fix:

I had a bent front fender on my DRZ which really bothered me, but not enough to spend $50 for a Suzuki factory fender. So I took a paint stripping heat gun ( a hair dryer will do) and heated it from about 6-8 inches away until it was hot to the touch. Then I twisted it back into place - you have to twist it slightly beyond where you want to go - and then removed the heat and held it in place for a minute. It is now straight. As far as Acerbis vs UFO: Acerbis makes great hand-guards, and I have used UFO replacement plastics and they work great. My son's KX-250 has a UFO rear fender and it looks and fits like factory.

my friend had some ufo on his bike and the first time he fell he snapped his radiator shroud. then the next time he fell his front fender completetly shattered. the first crash he had was a low speed tip over for the radiator shroud and he went over the bars and his bike flipped. this is all on the first day from a beginner rider. i guess he got a bad set 👍